WNY Gamers Club November LAN Event

TF2 is "okay". If you like really really cramped maps and quake'ish type action but with weapons that are mediocre at best, then its your game :)

The only feature that i really liked about the game was that it has the HL2 button feature to switch between current and last weapon in a single click (q button). Best thing ever.

if you can get everyone to buy a copy before the LAN

So am I to understand that WNYG will no longer play games with folks who bring "extended demo" copies ? Not to sound too cheap but no all of us invest in full copies of the game before we try the "extended demo" a little to decide if we really like it. Since Ive seen the above quote type of comment a few times I wanted to know where the LAN's stand at this point. Since extended demos have been passed around freely at the lans in the past im currently confused or was unaware of the policy change.

Where we stand, WE DO NOT APPROVE, nor do we need to help you get your cracked (not purchased) game going! We may try, but we won't spend all nite trying to get you working, when others have PAID for the game. As always, some peeps will probably be playing another game, so there is usually more than one game going at any one time.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys new to the forums but definitely goin to the lan party! so reserve a slot for me :-)....

Welcome!!!

:)

TF2 is "okay". If you like really really cramped maps and quake'ish type action but with weapons that are mediocre at best, then its your game :)

The only feature that i really liked about the game was that it has the HL2 button feature to switch between current and last weapon in a single click (q button). Best thing ever.

if you can get everyone to buy a copy before the LAN

So am I to understand that WNYG will no longer play games with folks who bring "extended demo" copies ? Not to sound too cheap but no all of us invest in full copies of the game before we try the "extended demo" a little to decide if we really like it. Since Ive seen the above quote type of comment a few times I wanted to know where the LAN's stand at this point. Since extended demos have been passed around freely at the lans in the past im currently confused or was unaware of the policy change.

Where we stand, WE DO NOT APPROVE, nor do we need to help you get your cracked (not purchased) game going! We may try, but we won't spend all nite trying to get you working, when others have PAID for the game. As always, some peeps will probably be playing another game, so there is usually more than one game going at any one time.

I am with bob on this one as I have missed out on whole house and LPE LANs trying to trouble shoot issues with ppl bitching they can not get on our servers only to find out they have a non legit copy. Basically if it works great if not STOP COMPLAINING. If you got a killer game and you get it to work, get off your ass and help someone else get it working also.

One example of this was before FEAR MP was free, a couple years ago I ran round listening to ppl piss and moan that they could not get on the server that was a perfectly working dedicated server. Thing was there was 3 different version released by 3 different warez groups and all needed a different patch, I found all this out later, legit copies worked fine though. I did not get to even play FEAR for that LPE and went home feeling like "why the f do I do this only to have ppl complain" and I think all of us felt that way that night. So my stance is if it's not legit we do not want to here about it not working.

BTW: War you should no better then to ask publicly if we can support software piracy. You post your address, phone number up and invite the general public to take part in your events and then be like "Yeah free warzed copies for all", I realize you used "Extended demo's" but next time realize that should have been a PM, not a public post. Think you would have got the same answer from Bob though.

Yeah I didn't read close enough into "extended demos" because I didn't think anyone would actualy be implying warez openly... And what I wrote was genuin about real demos. I like to play real demos as it gives me the chance to see if I want to dish out cash for a new game. Played Crysis Beta and Demo, yep they are getting some cash from me. Played WoW beta, yep they got my cash for way too long. Played Tabula Rasa Beta, and they will probably get a little bit of my dough. That's pretty much how the system works and is supposed to work.

Yeah, this is a public forum. Any future talk of "warez," "cracks," etc will be promtly deleted.

And I think what PurSuit meant was in reference to the LPE events. One of the reasons we have the voting when you reg for the event. Everyone knows without a doubt what 3 games we'll be playing and should have those up and running on your pc before the event. As we have only 12hrs, we don't want to spend the time help everyone get games running and connected the whole night.

Normal lans are a different story and I'll leave it at that. ;)

Dragon

I couldn't agree more, If I ever come across ANY posts involving "WAREZ" with any relation to this website/group, they will be removed immediately including possible suspension of the account used for the posting. This simply will not & can not be allowed & the reasons should be obvious.

And YES, Pursuit was speaking of the LPE event a while back as I can still vividly recall all that non-sense that occured w/ FEAR, it wasn't a good night. Retail copies of FEAR worked fine, bootleg didn't work so well.

As with ANY lan party, before attending the event, common sense would say to make sure that YOUR copy of the game, or ANY game that you play for that matter, is fully updated, makes life easier for everyone. That's not to say that we won't help out those in need to a degree, just don't expect us to spend ALL of our time trying to fix your issues.

-- Nem

Yeah, this is a public forum. Any future talk of "warez," "cracks," etc will be promtly deleted.

And I think what PurSuit meant was in reference to the LPE events. One of the reasons we have the voting when you reg for the event. Everyone knows without a doubt what 3 games we'll be playing and should have those up and running on your pc before the event. As we have only 12hrs, we don't want to spend the time help everyone get games running and connected the whole night.

Normal lans are a different story and I'll leave it at that. ;)

Dragon

Do note I said nothing of the kind about warez. Your interpretations are out of line. I did say extended demo yes, but what in the world do you call a demo that lets you play single player, unlimited multiplayer (unlimited hours, but restricted maps), and are up to 2 gigs or more in size ?!? If thats not "extended" I dont know what is. Especially considering that when I used to play demos a lot they were only about 400-700 mb's in size at MOST. Heck a lot of the games I have installed right now are in the 1-2 gig range - thats the FULL legit copy of the game !!! To me demo's nowadays are hugely extended.

DaPoets had it right on his first post after mine.

I agree with your stance on warez / pirated games, so your policy is fine with me, though that wasnt the point of the question.

I never even REMOTELY implied that I expected any kind of help / support in getting a game going and would not expect any. Horror stories about how Pursuit had a bad time trying to help other people get thier pirated games going were irrelevant. Annoying for him for sure, but thats not what im asking about.

For the record I own legitimate copies of any game I enjoy and play regularly. In fact some games which I enjoy more I own 2-4 legit copies. Games like BF2 (2 Reg&SF packs, Far Cry (4), AoE2 (3), MW4 (2), and many more. I own more than one copy so when friends come over for LAN's we can go online and play if we only have 5 or so people show up (most already own the games we play but not all, so im happy to have an extra legit copy or so handy for my friends).

Trying a demo is not an illegal activity and in fact the companies distribute them freely via download. Big arsed extended demo downloads, but they offer em.

Do note though:

My question was 100% valid. There were some strong mixed signals being sent. When at one point I see "demo's" played, but then another I see "get everyone to buy a copy before the LAN". I asked for clarification on that.

Also - IF you felt I was talking about pirated vs. big demo's and I get yelled at to ask in PM's - wouldnt by the same reason you ask me to clarify in a PM before going ape-poop in the open thread ?

because I didn't think anyone would actualy be implying warez openly

And there you have it - next time you guys are concerned and feel the need to give the extended lecture just take a moment to ask if thats what I was talkin about ;) We all use different terminology at times. Maybe its not the best or most precise but I drop slang words and statements all the time - as I know most people do. Im happy to clear up any misunderstandings etc.

Do note I said nothing of the kind about warez. Your interpretations are out of line. I did say extended demo yes, but what in the world do you call a demo that lets you play single player, unlimited multiplayer (unlimited hours, but restricted maps), and are up to 2 gigs or more in size ?!? If thats not "extended" I dont know what is. Especially considering that when I used to play demos a lot they were only about 400-700 mb's in size at MOST. Heck a lot of the games I have installed right now are in the 1-2 gig range - thats the FULL legit copy of the game !!! To me demo's nowadays are hugely extended.

"hugely extended but restricted maps"?!? Large size just means there lots of artwork assests of the game. But you don't come to LANs anymore so it doesn't matter.... End of story. Leave it at that. Yes, that means don't reply to this WarSpartan!

;)

Honestly what a demo is, is a chance for consumers to get enough feel for a game to make an informed decision as to if they like it enough to want to play more, thus entailing dishing out some cash. Developers have to determine based on the type of game they have made, how much content they have to release in a demo in order to acheive this goal, leave the consumer wanting for more, and doing it in a cost efficient maner. I would say that the Crysis Demo is one of the best examples of a well thought out Demo to date. You get to run around in a very well made enviroment while following a storyline that hits a climax that makes you want to run to the store and say "please take my cash MR.!!" because you have to know what the hell happens next.

I would say there is no need to ever call a demo "extended" because it is released how ever small or large based on how ever much it would take for the consumer to make an informed monetary decision. A demo will only ever be a demo.

**sry bob I had to chime in....... don't taze me bro!

Unfortunately, UT3 will be out a couple weeks after this LAN, but will be fair game for December's, which speaking of, I need to create a thread for.