April's LAN Party Extravaganza

B.Ob.

I've also been to a far amount of different lans. Each group is different. Even thou there is only 4 of us and we choose to try and play at least a few hours ourselves, this is what we have come with the groups we have had at our LANs thus far. Is it perfect, no. Could it change? yes. Will we please everyone all the time, never.

There have always been pockets of people that play their own group of games. As much as we like to get everyone to play the same game at the same time (thou we strive on this for a couple games every lan), that will never happen for a # of reasons. Sometimes it does take an hour+ to get most of the people that want to play installed and patched. We could be very rigid but we tend to help anyone that asks more often than not.

I'm always willing to put games & server IPs on the projector, but to run around and make sure everyone is installed patched and playing a different game every hour is not practical for the of volunteers that run the group.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To explain bob's post above I deleted a rather meaningless post that ParoxysM posted about how uber he is and how many LANs he has gone to and how this makes him an expert at TELLING OTHER HOW TO RUN THEM. My apologize to Bob as I real should have just moved the post in to the useless thread instead of deleting it as that is really the rule of thumb for the forums after problems with ParoxysM and Juddog f'in with the forums before.

You send me a msg through IM telling me you are going to hack or have someone hack the forums and then log off xfire awsome. Bob, Dan Jay, Myself and serveral other put a ton of time into WNYG all for free. Only to get $hi+ on about it by you. Bob might beable to be nice about it, but I nolonger can as I know you alot better then he does and kinda expect more then a bunch of bitching and whinning. I already got enough $hi+ going on with the house and the fscking car transmission $hi++ing the bed again. As I currently do not have a car I might not even be able to make it there. Come to the LANs, don't come to the LANs it is your fscking choice, JUST PLEASE STOP PISSING AND MOANING ABOUT WHAT OTHERS DO and start thinking about what you don't!

:) Edited by the Brat :spacecraft:

This will probably be editted or deleted too, but I'll grab a screenshot for my new wallpaper...

It's not even worth posting anymore. You get in these moods every other month...delete posts, temp ban people, all because you are having to deal with crap IRL. Call me when your head is out of your ass, nite.

My 2 cents on the LAN thing ->

* In an all day LAN you will only play 2-3 "good" games. By good games - a game that you get most people to play at once. Sure you guys let all kinds of games and cluster groups go on in the background, but they dont count towards everyone playing at the lan. Trying to cram more than that in is just a whirlwind of clusterfark. The amount of "good" gaming that gets done is minimal.

* Each game requires the install & patch, and quickie troubleshoot for those situations that cant connect right away. Often takes and hour for everyone to get up to speed.

* My experience with the LPE's vs Bob's house lans is they are identical. The LPE's are just bigger. The actual amount of games and the sub groups that play them are essentially the same.

* Confusion / non-commitment / and "whatever" attitudes towards whats played on LAN day destroy cohesive and "good" gaming come LAN day. Period.

My suggestions and you dont have to be mean if you dont like them ->

* You have to set just 2-3 games to be played at each LAN.

* You must announce the games to played at the LAN at least 1 week ahead of the actual LAN. Take a vote, take a stand, whatever -> Pick the games, pick the patches to be used. And thats what EVERYONE should expect to play that day. Ideally everyone comes installed and patched as well.

Everyone knows about wnyg via friends pretty much. Getting the word out to people by word of mouth, IM's, PM's, etc is all part of it. You can designate the game and patch and you can expect MOST people to come prepared. Then for the few who are unable or didnt hear, just have the materials ready, and the designates (next) for each game can smooth out the rough edges.

* You must disignate at least 1-2 guys (more ? depending on # of people) who are familiar with each game to help get everyone get going on thier designated game. I noted above that you guys dont think you should have to do this. In reality you do if you want large blocks of cohesive gaming. The designates can be others in the LAN (im happy to help folks with a game for example), its not gonna be a ton of work if you get the word out and most up to speed before hand.

* Scheduling you should set aside a large block of time for each game -> 12pm - 4pm [Game1] 4pm-8pm [Game2] 8pm-12am [Game3] Or whatever blocks you decide upon ahead of time.

* Overall my biggest suggestion which is essentially a combination of all of the above is have a strong leadership set for game day. Bob, James, and all involved do a good job having the LAN's - just step it up one notch and make everything more clear, precise, and planned for each LAN. Thats all. A strong schedule and direction come LAN day means there is a LOT more quality "games" that go down. Lots more memories, lots more excitement.

I ran group LAN's for almost 3 years at my place at one point. And Ive been to just about every LAN in the area. The above suggestions are completely possible, and in all honesty, not that hard. And of course you guys have all the infrastructure in place as it is. Its just a matter of picking your games. Not trying to play too many games. And committing yourself to those games come LAN day.

i think every needs a hug, you guys IMO, do good keep it fun and keep it a rocking good time, i know i dont make it as much as i should, partically because saturday is DnD day, but hell i still show up cause of whjo is there, not what is played... cause i can play anthing... how well that a matter of oppion and how my left hand is feeling :)

Edited by Conan4Life

With LPE VII just days away we are looking at BF2 being the #1 game pick. This is not to say that this will be the only game played through out the night or that everyone must play this game, it is just the one attendee’s votes on at signup. Tops 3 picks

1.) Battlefield 2

2.) F.E.A.R.

3.) Flatout 2

To new to be on the list, but to played.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Also a RTS will be added into the line up the day of, most likely Command & Conquer 3, CoH or Supreme Commander.