When will a really revolutinary game come out?

heftysmurf

Hi all,

I love playing games & a lot of great games have came out. Halo bf1942 etc. However it seems lately everything is a rehash of everything else. What would everybody like to see in a game or is their a game coming out soon that you think will truely be different & good at the same time? Interested in any & all opinions.

Peace,

Hef

Interesting question. Difficult to answer quickly. It seems the biggest growth in games has been to combine FPS with RPG, ala Deus Ex, etc. My favorite games were/are action FPS, ala Halo, UT, etc. I little storyline helps, which I think Max Payne has probably done the best at so far. (Yes, that is third-person. Speaking of, I still have to play thru MP2!)

I guess my ideal game would have the simplicity of Marble Madness, the story of Max Payne, and the attitude of Duke Nukem!

I like games with a higher learning curve...this is the opposite of most people though and game maker dont cater to me. 98% of today's games like UT, Diablo, whatever take longer to install than to learn. Games that I can master within the first week or two of playing I don't play frequently if at all, 'cause everyone else in the world is at the same level and it's boring. I can stop playing any quake/ut engine fps-type games for months and be back in sync after a minute of double-clicking the shortcut.

They need to make something different...

This is different.....

Painkiller

In the end, its just the original Doom with a facelift.

I'm afraid that we've hit the end of the line though. I'm hoping someone will come up with something that'll blow the doors off everything out today.

Lately, companies have been carving bits from different games and putting them together and you end up with action/adventure/rpg games like KOTOR. It definitely makes for some good gameplay but in the end its nothing special.

Then you get people like Crytek with Far Cry. Just a fps but with some nice little twists. Non-scripted AI, which I think every fps should have. I'm not a fps fan so this alone gets me interested in the game. Outdoor environment instead of dirty old complexes like Doom and Halflife and the like. To bad I can tell this game is going to be short lived.

Original story helps too. And not just a story that's just a side story and really doesn't need to be there to play the game. I hate games where your so far removed from the story that you don't need to even watch the cut sences.

Soldner looks like it'll turn out to be more than just a BF rehash.

Well, I could rant all day on the current gaming situation but I'll let someone else jump in for a spell. :lol:

Dragon

tachiaon was differet , 64 player space flight sim

AvP felt different when i played it, aleans if played right wooped preadataors just gotta me sneeky and go for the head bite

CnC renigade : cnc mode was great and where else can you stick c4 on people's faces

tourock 2 frag tag... raptors mauing on the monkeys

caramagedddan : hit thoes people

redline: first fps to use vhicals on a large basis

ill think of more later

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Major_Chaos

actually farcry is one word. it is called a compound word where you put 2 words together to make 1 word. geez, kids these days

See, what people don't realize is that revolutionary games have been coming out. It's more like evolution than just a BAM hit you in the face kind of thing. Look at games like Battlefield 1942 and UT2004 really changing the gameplay of a first person shooter into something different by the way they use the vehicles (orginally tribes). Then you have games like Savage that are fusing gametypes like RTS and FPS.

Unfortunately because it's a slow change many of these games don't get as much attention as they should. Also many of these games fall to just using the "revolutionary item" as a gimmick and not fully expanding the potential that it could have.

See, what people don't realize is that revolutionary games have been coming out. It's more like evolution than just a BAM hit you in the face kind of thing. Look at games like Battlefield 1942 and UT2004 really changing the gameplay of a first person shooter into something different by the way they use the vehicles (orginally tribes). Then you have games like Savage that are fusing gametypes like RTS and FPS.

Unfortunately because it's a slow change many of these games don't get as much attention as they should. Also many of these games fall to just using the "revolutionary item" as a gimmick and not fully expanding the potential that it could have.

like Bullet-time in Max Payne?!

Vehicles are certainly becoming the norm is most games now-a-days..... :P