Sony DRU-540A - 12x Dual Format DVD Burner - $180

Stats are not super-impressive IMO:

Sony DRU-540A DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Specifications:

ATAPI (EIDE) internal interface

DVD+R: 12X P-CAV (max.) writing

DVD+RW: 4X CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-R: 8X Z-CLV (max.) writing

DVD-RW: 4X CLV (max.) rewriting

DVD-ROM reading (single layer): 12X CAV (max.)

DVD-ROM reading (dual layer): 8X CAV (max.)

CD-R: 40X CAV (max.) writing

CD-RW: 24X CLV (max.) rewriting

CD-ROM: 40X CAV (max) reading

Dimensions: 5.75 x 1.63 x 7.56 inches (W x H x L)

Platform support: Windows 2000 and XP

Burst data transfer rate: 33.3 Mbit/s max.

Random access time: 130 ms (CD-ROM), 160 ms (DVD-ROM)

Buffer memory: 2 MB

Buffer under-run error protection technology: Sony Power-Burn conformed

Recording method (CD): Disc at Once, Track at Once, Session at Once, Packet Writing

(DVD): Random Access Write (DVD+RW/DVD-RW/CD-RW), Sequential Write (DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW/CD-R/RW)

Compatible disc format: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-ROM, CD-DA, Video CD, Photo CD (multi-session), CD TEXT, CD Extra, and others

I'm waiting for the Dual Layer ones...

12X isn't bad, it is P-CAV mode..... os it just peaks at 12x.... Is there even 12x media out yet even?!

I haven't seen any but really havent been looking my pioneer 8x will burn 4x media at 8x so i've been pretty happy with the speed of it so far and like i mentioned on another post it is supposed to be able to do dual layer with just a firmware update! B)

I haven't seen any but really havent been looking my pioneer 8x will burn 4x media at 8x so i've been pretty happy with the speed of it so far and like i mentioned on another post it is supposed to be able to do dual layer with just a firmware update! B)

I hope it works for ya!!! I recall the R to RW firmware updates never came to pass and left a lot of peeps boned.

I'm happy with my Pioneer 107d 8x -/+ R 8x which you can get for about $100 at newegg now and with the newest hacked firmware you can burn -/+ R 4x media at 8x as long as you use decent media I recommend ritek g04 discs which are under $40 for a 50pack at newegg also. Dual layer is cool as hell but not much media out right now and on +R only at 2.4x which is gonna take about 45-60mins a disk. Better to wait until they have dual format/ dual layer burners with faster burn speeds. Updating to dual layer with firmware update is very risky as the lasers r not designed fro dual layer and could destroy your drive or at least shorten it's life because of the extra stress on it.

Riteks have dropped to 30 bones :-) Dual layer is dumb at this point.

Were you the same person that said we wouldn't need more than 640k of ram?! B)

• 2 weeks later...