X800 retail review

VisionTek Xtasy X800 Pro review

"Offering 475 MHz core/450 MHz memory clocks, and using a new 420 series core, and GDDR3 memory, the x800 Pro is a proven performer just on paper compared to the 9800 series, or anything else for that matter. It makes me wonder where is nVidia? With VisionTek's gesture of offering a full retail version of the x800 Pro no more than 14 days after the 6800 series of nVidia cards were paper-launched makes you really wonder which card will be your first buying decision, and that should be fairly easy. With the majority of us new x800 Pro owners enjoying the power of our new cards, the nVidia boys will be trying to play catch-up with their inferior 5900 FX cards. Even if the 6800 series is eventually launched you'll find out later in our testing that the huge margin of overclocking on the x800 Pro will minimize the margin of competition that the 6800 may have."

What it must be like to have $$$ to spend on new video cards when released. One of these days I look forward to being able to do that on a regular basis.

Hey, I can dream!!!

-- Nem

We need to find a way to force these companies to release them at a reasonable price. $400 - $500 for a video card is outrageous. I remember when you could get the newest card for around $150...of course, a lot of people were still using monocrome monitors. VGA was considered a special feature. My first VGA card had 1meg of ram, and at the show it was $70...That was before I upgraded to a 120meg HDD. I still have the drive, and it still works. :rotfl:

nVidia slides for their sales people

There are 10 slides, check 'em all. Kinda interesting/funny!! BTW, the slides are in English, but the forum is in german!

All I got to say it, the X800 Pro is out already!! Havn't see any of the new nVidia's card yet!!

All I got to say it, the X800 Pro is out already!! Havn't see any of the new nVidia's card yet!!

Yeah, where are you Nvidia? I bet they thought 'let's get a couple out there for independent reviews, see what they like/don't like, then make some adjustments from there.' Then when they do release them for sale, say 'we found some problems during our final testing before release and made some fixes.'

Or they got those couple out there to get ATI to commit to release while Nvidia held back to made some quick adjustments to increase performance. B)

Dragon

Thats the only way they have to try to keep up. Nvidia keeps trying, but like the first Voodoo chips compared to the S3's, ATI keeps blowing them out of the water. Now they seem to have developed a strategy to see what theyre up against. :explo:

BTW Dragon, I just spoke to my buddy, he doesnt know if he's working VH yet. Not till about a week before the show....I'm trying to get a free tkt. I might even get the chance to work the show. B)

I wish we could steal a whole bunch of them :-)

Wouldnt be too hard with the RMA collection site 1/2 mi from work here...Crumpled said they had a washing machine box full of cards to be checked out when he dropped his off and I bet 1/4 of those are from st00pid people not knowing how to plug it in.

I wish we could steal a whole bunch of them :-)

After we buy 'em, just put the X800 heatsink on our 9700/9800 PROs and return them saying they are to slow.... B)

But if you want to alter the x800 Pro into a X800 PE: CHECK IT!!

follow up on elite bastards

That makes sense. That first simple review said that the cards looked identical. Apparently they are. Looks like ATI just cut a trace to disable 4 pipelines and raise the 3D benchmark....and of course charged a little more for that feature. Still, I think those guys are a little daring doing that to a $400 card. :cheer:

Maybe we can put a dip switch in there to turn it on and off.