Can we say....

Bill imposes hefty 'spyware' fines

"The bill's bans against spyware would begin 12 months after it becomes law and would automatically expire after 2009."

Hope this does a better job than that spam-law thingy....

There's a spyware program that gets installed when you load win2k on a pc, Alexa or something like that. Its considered spyware by every spyware search program out there. Wonder if they'll bust Microsoft on it. :D

Dragon

There's a spyware program that gets installed when you load win2k on a pc, Alexa or something like that. Its considered spyware by every spyware search program out there. Wonder if they'll bust Microsoft on it. :D

Dragon

Actually, I think that comes from online ads. As I recall SpyBot telling me that that was trying to get on the system when I was going to a site, but only when certain ads tried to load. If you have Spyblot block Silently, then you wouldn't see that msg...

Nope. I find it right after a fresh format and I won't even have gone online yet. Next time you reformat, look for it. Dl Adaware or something and put it in a folder you can get to after reformat and check for it, it'll be there. :D

Dragon

alexa is a rating system that is popularly used to see how popular a site is ranked against another. While I dont think it gives out any popups, it does trigger every spybot program because it does track where you go and it does give that information to their servers. As far as I know it's not spy/ad ware but I dont have it installed myself, so what do I know....

the lower the number a site is ranked, the more popular it is (google is like 1, yahoo 2, etc, etc.) Some sponsors will use this as well to see if the site gets alot of hits and if giving whomever loot will be worth it to them in the long run.

alexa is a rating system that is popularly used to see how popular a site is ranked against another.  While I dont think it gives out any popups, it does trigger every spybot program because it does track where you go and it does give that information to their servers.  As far as I know it's not spy/ad ware but I dont have it installed myself, so what do I know....

the lower the number a site is ranked, the more popular it is (google is like 1, yahoo 2, etc, etc.)  Some sponsors will use this as well to see if the site gets alot of hits and if giving whomever loot will be worth it to them in the long run.

a sight is ranked by how many hits it gets, a sight can check its own logs in its web server (iis, apache ect) to know howmany hits hey receved, from what and the ip address that accessed it, they need not install any tracking cookies for that info

here is a sight ranked about 5000

http://www.maddox.xmission.com

and his stats

http://www.maddox.xmission.com/statistics/...statistics.html

"ALEXA COLLECTS AND STORES INFORMATION ABOUT THE WEB PAGES YOU VIEW, THE DATA YOU ENTER IN ONLINE FORMS AND SEARCH FIELDS WHILE USING THE ALEXA SOFTWARE, AND, WITH VERSIONS 5.0 AND HIGHER OF THE BROWSER COMPANION SOFTWARE, THE PRODUCTS YOU PURCHASE ONLINE. ALTHOUGH ALEXA DOES NOT ATTEMPT TO ANALYZE WEB USAGE DATA TO DETERMINE THE IDENTITY OF ANY ALEXA USER, SOME INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE SOFTWARE IS PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE. ALEXA AGGREGATES AND ANALYZES THE INFORMATION IT COLLECTS TO IMPROVE ITS SERVICE AND TO PREPARE REPORTS ABOUT AGGREGATE WEB USAGE AND SHOPPING HABITS."

It is used to rank sites. But also collects info on where you have been for "Related" pages. Owned and operated by amazon.com. Still sounds like spyware to me though. And it is included in any version of IE from 5.0 up. But I'm sure microsoft has an answer for that.

"you see if we know which sites are popular, We know who to try to take over." :bonk: