The Athlon 64 is the bomb

heftysmurf

Just became the proud owner of an Athlon 64 3000 & an Asus k8v / still reinstalling all my stuff

Things of note:

1) Much cooler than any other Athlon I have ever ran

2) Small difference in 3d Mark scores Makes me think it is useless

3) Far Cry & battlefied are substantially faster I would goues about 40%

Will post detailed results soon.

:-)

Just became the proud owner of an Athlon 64 3000 & an Asus k8v / still reinstalling all my stuff

Things of note:

1) Much cooler than any other Athlon I have ever ran

2) Small difference in 3d Mark scores Makes me think it is useless

3) Far Cry & battlefied are substantially faster I would goues about 40%

Will post detailed results soon.

:-)

Very, VERY nice. That was the mobo & cpu I was looking at when I was thinking of an AMD64 system myself. I look forward to hearing how well this beauty of yours runs.

I trust U are going to be @ the upcoming lan party to showoff your new toy??!!

-- Nem

• 1 month later...

Seeing you dont play any graphics intensive games or if you do you turn them down to shit despite the fact that a LCD can only display 60 frames a second hardly qualifies you as an expert. A lot of the really new games look awesome & punish you. I mean the REALLY look good if you crank it up. I would say now that I have played with my Far Cry settings my framerate is lower now but it remains playable & looks so hook. PS 2.0 is the bomb but a backbreaker. Wish I did not feel foolish getting an x800 due to its crazy cost.

Hmmm, didn't know the LCDs are limited to 60 frames/sec. Guess I'll hold on to my CRT (at 85Hz) a while longer....

Be interesting to see how the new cards perform in HL2 and/or Doom3!!! At least you don't have a 5900/5950 vid card, then FarCry wouldn't look as good!! Why would you look foolish getting a x800?! unless you needed the cashola for something really necessary like rent/mortgage or food....

I also recently got a athlon64 3200+ with a Abit KV8-Max3 board and very pleased with it, only maybe a 10-15% difference in 3dmark2k3 from my xp 2500+(barton)but that is more of a video card benchmark. FarCry, UT2k4, BF vietnam play much smoother. It seems that the Max frames aren't that much higher(15-30%) but it seems they are more constant, not getting lag when things get brutal in game. Some things are much faster, like any type of video editing or encoding the processor kicks ass. Overall system preformance seems much faster to me also. Boot up time is super fast!!(15-25 secs, I'll have to time but twice as fast as my asus a7n8x + xp 2500+) I can't wait till win xp64bit and farcry64 r out, once stuff starts using the 64 bit extensions of the processor it will kick even more ass. It's nice to finally see AMD take the lead role in the processor market.

I wonder how fast the A64 would/will run the command-line SETI......

No useful software? Well like I said it runs all 32bit software like a champ, and it will only be 2-3 months before 64 bit starts ramping up. Maybe a little early to be buying a A64 but i had the 2500+ for over a year, close to a year and a half. It was about time for an upgrade and the A64 is alot better investment than a P4. It should be good for at least another year and a half before I start thinking of upgrading CPU again. Now I just gotta wait till the new video cards are widely availiable, I can't wait to pair my A64 with x800 or 6800 and play some 64bit farcry and ut2k4.

I'm signed up for it already, so as soon as they release it I'll let you how it runs. Not planning on upgrading cpu + MB for at least a year, now video card is a different matter. Looking at the 6800 gt because it has all 16 pipelines inabled with out having to do a mod like the x800 pro, and you can overclock the hell out of it from what i've been reading on some of the reviews. Looks like it might be the best bang for the buck. I'm a huge Ati fan but looking at the Nvidia card because it's not castrated like the x800 pro and it beats the pro in most benchmarks without overclocking. plus PS 3.0.

there being released this week. alot of places say the 28-29-30th

opps.... www.gameve.com has them in stock now!!!!!!!

for 399.00 w/ free fedex saver shipping! wow it's retail version! and not charging over retail price like everyother shop is. most places are charging $440 and up!

I just might order one! :P

I ordered one earlier and it was in stock, but just checked there site again and now it says 7/5/04 release but my order still says in stock? Maybe they had a few to sell and that's it and won't get anymore till 7/5/04?