Crossfire mind picking

Conan4Life

Sapphire was the 1st to contact me and granted an RMA request. I'm going to send it to them after I receive my new HIS Digital card and try that on in a crossfire format.

I know you are all probably tired of my play by play crossfire issues lol but it helps to pass the time!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo I received my 3rd x1950pro today but it is only 256mb.... Crossfire works WONDERFULLY but I drop down to 256mb... xp home edition is all confused and won't boot up w/ out crashing but I know what I have to do to fix that... XP 64 knew exactly what to do and ran 10,000 benchmarks right away on 3Dmark06. I think ATI is going to give me another 512meg card from my conversations with them. we shall see... but anyway crossfire is up and kickin butt.

Nice, so how are your case or south bridge temps with both cards kicking heat out of the case?

On full load my temps are 60°c 58°c 60°c 56°c.

Quad core gets 4 fun temps to look at :-)

When my AC is on, the temps drop down a lot more, like low 50's

I have noticed that since the intake on the top x1950pro is so close to the bottom x1950pro, the temperature on that top one is a lot higher than the bottom one at idle or full load (full load on the gpu). There just isn't much space for air to get into it so I may get creative and drill some holes eventually to allow for more air flow. Running Crysis just on that card (not crossfire) gave me aritifacts after a while (I had the card considerably overclocked in the ram department) but that's when I had the slimmer Sapphire x1950pro underneath it so there was plenty of intake are. I dropped the overclock down some on it and it seems to be fine now but yeah air flow has to be understood fully in order to correctly overclock computers running on air.

Yeah, the cards are tight together! I'm surprised you have them OC'd at all, assuming CF was left enabled. Do you use dual screens?

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was my 1st time playing the Crysis Demo in crossfire mode. W/ just a single x1950pro 512meg it's been working fine, everything on High Settings at 1280x1024 so I decided to Turn on the juice.... now remember my second card is only the 256 meg and yeah.... it sucks. 1st my computer has to reboot in order to sync up the different ram sizes. Then yes my 3Dmark06 scores are about 10,000 but 256megs of ram just isn't enough to run Crysis smoothly at all. On medium settings it's nice and smooth because it doens't have to load as much into the videocards memory but on high you need that extra space. On Thursday I sent my defective x1950pro which was 512megs to Sapphire so I hope they give me a working model back asap because I'm tired of having to reboot my computer just to get crossfire working and then it no having enough ram to run games better than a single card. I'm sure for other games it does the trick nicely at 256meg but yeah.. someone said come big or go home and I now consider myself as having drank the punch.

So, when I get my (hopefully working) sapphire x1950pro 512meg back and working w/ my HIS x1950pro 512meg, I'll have an x1950pro 256meg HIS Digital for sale that will only have been used for a month. If nobody here wants it I'll put it up on ebay. It does have an external exhaust so I could just keep it in my 3rd PCIe slot for added cooling, and with the dream of one day having 6 monitors connected to my computer LOL...

One of the reasons I got rid of my x1950Pro 256Mb cards was that each card loads dup textures and it was not a combined 512Mb total. Even though games such as Quake 4 (based on the Doom3 engine) see it as a 512MB total and allows you to turn on Ultra Texture settings it crushes the cards as you only have 256Mb of physical texture space in CF mode.

Performance from the 2900XT on my system was = to the 1950's in CF but having the extra mem so out ways it CF on the 256Mb cards... I might be interested in the 1950Pro though for a system I am building. Let me know when you have everything all set...

I always hate paying a premium for the new shinny... I like to go a generation or two down to get the best bang for the buck. Like my Quad Core, it was only $285, unlike when it 1st came out at around $800 I think...

Well the only thing better then what you got would be the 2900XT which is still pricey. The 3870's look like they should be cheaper. Also you will not be running the CPU you got and a 2900XT, I know I just did the 1950Pro CF to single 2900XT upgrade and I had to get a new PSU. ;)

Now if you are going nVid there might be something there, I would stick it out with the 1950's specially if you get the 2 512Mb cards going that should be a big help...