Crossfire mind picking

Conan4Life

Well, as long as you put this on your chip, we won't care about about your crossfire configuration

m3333001out2ge.jpg

btf901.jpg

Wow, thats neat!!! Hmmm, four heat pipes and passive.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I need a new sound card... My intel D975XBX2 mother board has onboard sound that long story short sucks donkey balls. I have been getting this problem where I am playing nearly any game for about 30 min to an hour and the screen freezes and I get caught in a sound loop. The only escape is the reset button...

So I disable the onboard sound and stick in my old old old Creative PCI 128 soundcard and the sound quality and volume greatly improve instantly.... Even on vent my guild was saying "woa turn that thing down" but yeah loud and clear. This reduced the frequency to me getting this freezing sound loop issue to about once an hour now while playing a game. This even changed how it sounds when the loop happens....

NOW.... at 3.2ghz I can run prime95 till the cows come home and Orthos as well, memtest gets pretty boaring after 18 hours.

This doesn't happen though when I don't overclock and leave my speed at stock 2.4ghz. Seems like if I go over 2.4ghz then eventually I get the freeze up w/ sound loop while gaming after an hour or so.

I even started adjusting my PCI Latency timer from 32 to 64 to 96 and they all seem the same... 128 got me artifacts after 20 minutes of gaming. (x1950 Pro 512meg PCIe)

Any ideas?

Edited by DaPoets

Hmmm, only happens when you overclock and happens one two different sound devices (since one is not a card). Are you sure your not OC'n something you don't need to? FBS on the CPU, cpu fsb to mem bus divider (if necessary) and cpu voltage are usually the only things you need to touch to OC.

Might try some make-shift shielding around the sound part (if you can and ASSUMING temps allow) as maybe EMI is leaking into it. I assume you put the sound card as far away from the cpu as possible.

Putting "sound problem on D975XBX2" into google brings a LOT of hits.... Wonder if there was a BIOS update to fix that.

Intel never used to support anyone over clocking.... so might not want to mention that in your email. If you mention its fine at stock speeds, they might say, oh well, sorry, not supported.

Sure does sounds like an EMI/shielding issue thou.

• 2 weeks later...

OK!!! WHOOO HOOO

I ended up buy this today http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov....92&view=yes

14-161-093-09.jpg

and I got it for only $139 online from newegg as an open box. It's normally $199 and so I used the savings to buy another 2 gigs of ram to bring me up to 4gigs. I'm tired of playing BF2 and looking at my system having only 90megs - 300megs free depending on what I'm doing...

So Crossfire in 3 business days!!!

Edited by DaPoets

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought another one of these for only $124 14-161-088-09.jpg

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov....95&view=yes

but this one is only 256megs... I figure since this is a nice deal I'll go with it, plus it exhausts the hot air out of the case which is what I need. The sapphire x1950pro blows hot air into my case and I'm hoping that the sapphire one is the card giving me issues and not the HIS Digital. I do also have 4 gigs ram so having 2 cards at 512megs each was dropping my usable system ram down to 3.1gigs, this will bring it up some. Since I am working w/ older tech anyway on the video card side, I will probably try to buy x2 2900XT's when the price drops this winter or a lucky open box if I can find them.

Edited by DaPoets

I just bought another one of these for only $124 14-161-088-09.jpg

http://www.hisdigital.com/html/product_ov....95&view=yes

but this one is only 256megs... I figure since this is a nice deal I'll go with it, plus it exhausts the hot air out of the case which is what I need. The sapphire x1950pro blows hot air into my case and I'm hoping that the sapphire one is the card giving me issues and not the HIS Digital. I do also have 4 gigs ram so having 2 cards at 512megs each was dropping my usable system ram down to 3.1gigs, this will bring it up some. Since I am working w/ older tech anyway on the video card side, I will probably try to buy x2 2900XT's when the price drops this winter or a lucky open box if I can find them.

Hope that does it for you!! Oh, probably want to make sure you power supply is up to the task before getting two 2900Xt's as I know PurSuiT was pulling more power when he got his single 2900Xt versus his dual 1950PRO's!!! Also, each 2900Xt requires 2 6pin pci-e power connectors (but would prefer a single 6 and 8pin connectors) That said, the 2950XT and XTX's are suppose to be out in 4 weeks.