Crossfire mind picking

Conan4Life

thinking of going crossfire with my current card, that 1650 i got from the LPE umm 6(?), does crossfire work if i thow a 1950 on there or will it just act like a second v-card is in there?

i think i heard some where all the 1x00/1x50 cards were compatible for that

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, you might be thinking where you don't have to use the CF connectors across the top of the cards. For CF, I think you really want the exact same card for the 2nd, unless it was an older card (like mine, as the CF has the compositing chip on it necessary for CF) that had a special CF version of the card to go with the regular card.

You have a 1650 XT, PRO? If you wanted to CF, I'd get the same model card, although the same manufacturer couldn't hurt, it's not required. Also, you have an ATI (or AMD) chipset on your motherboard, right? I've heard it works with nvidia based AMD (cpu) m/b's. but would not bank on it.

yea its a crossfire ready mobo... here are the newegg stats in case i made it out tomarrow i may pick it up before i got there :)

whoah i got an edit button again

it said "letting you use 2 graphics cards together for even more processing power. "

Edited by Conan4Life

• 2 weeks later...

I called ATI at 877-284-1566 and they said that yep it works BUT it will operate at the lower memory size which in this case is 256meg....

So I guess the question is.... do I spend like $30-$40 more to get another 512meg card or call it a day w/ the 256 meg which is nice and cheap and enjoy the crossfire at 256meg... would it even be a noticible difference from 256meg to 512meg?

*edit... by the way the guy on the phone said he personally felt that it would add the two ram together but he said other he works w/ said it would just be the 256... Either way it works fine.

Edited by DaPoets

Personally, he is an idiot. :P Each card won't be able to access the memory on the other card at the same speed of its own. I would think the extra mem would be worth it if your gonna keep them for a while, esp with all the higher rez games, crysis, etc. coming out this holiday. PurSuiT went from CF 1950 Pro 256m (each) to a 2900xt 512m card, so I'll let him field this one. (As I went from a 128m 9800 pro to a 1900xtx 512m)

"Go big or go home" - PurSuiT

Hehe, nice.

Here is the deal as I dealt with it, when you load a game the textures "ALL OF THEM" get loaded into both cards for use by only that card. In the case of a game like Quake 4, having the cards in CF allows you to turn on ultra uncompressed textures, as the game see it as combined memory (512Mb), but this horried to play as each card needs 512MB of video mem to store those textures for use. The dude was correct in stating that the cards go with the lowest values, same if the clock speed is different, say if you bought a different manufacture (such as HIS, they like to clock them higher). A game like Q4 might see it as 768Mb shared total mem but you will only be able to use/load 256MB of textures for use.

Hope that makes sence.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1060

A review comparing 256meg and 512meg x1950GT pci-3

It was good reading and probably very close to if a review was done on the PRO models... Long story short, not all games cared if you had 256meg or 512meg... Company of Heroes suprisingly enough was one of them... you would think it would like 512megs but it didn't really care... PREY on the other hand chewed up the 512meg and blew away the 256meg... FEAR didn't make any difference 256meg or 512meg...

hhmmm well for future games yeah the 512meg will be more useful and those start to hit shelves in november... Crysis and Front Lines...

bah.... I guess I'll hold out for the 512 meg even though I don't play any current games that would bennifit from the extra ram...

Any thing based on the Doom3/Quake4 engine (includes prey) will benifit from 512MB. I would think also anything based on the UT3 Engine (including BioSuck *COUGH* I mean BioShock) 512MB will benifit. BF2 and BF2142 I had a decrease in performance going Crossfire, I used to disable CF when playing them, but had a nice jump when going to a 512MB card.