World Community Grid

This has been posted before but figured I would bring it up again to our members

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/vie...mId=6D5XNJBR9N1

WNYG has a WCG team and would love if more members joined in. World Community Grid can be used with the BOINC Client and uses unused CPU time (idle time) to work on projects that help us all. I got involved with this in 2004 when I saw that one of the projects was to find a cure for breast cancer, which was how I lost my mother over a decade ago. Check it out and join in, you never know a result returned from your idle CPU time may save your life someday.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in and have 2k now.

Welcome aboard!!! :(

Its kinda nice you can pick and choose the project or projects you wish to put your idle CPU time to...

• 2 weeks later...

Member - Points generated

PurSuiT - 1,891,115

ParoxysM - 1,489,428

bdotobdot - 1,468,491

Dammit BOb...I only have this running on 4 workstations currently. I will be overtaken within the week.

Yeah, I was hoping on catching you soon.... B)

You were kicking my butt for a long time thou!!

4 workstations you say, eh?

Statistics Last Updated: 06/16/2007 23:59:58 - Total Run Time - 2:246:12:26:00

Statistics Last Updated: 06/17/2007 23:59:58 - Total Run Time - 2:254:16:10:06 = ~8 days

Statistics Last Updated: 06/18/2007 23:59:58 - Total Run Time - 2:266:10:31:54 = ~12 days of work...

I have 6 workstations, although the power bill might become an issue where I might need to shut some down. B)

Caught...

PurSuiT - 1,922,848

bdotobdot - 1,590,281

ParoxysM - 1,583,431

I have a few old Xeon servers at work...maybe I'll power them up this week B)

I'm scared to install WCG on the production servers. That would be my ass if the apps/files were suddenly slow/unreachable.

I've been wanting to light my wife's lappy up on this, but I'm just too lazy.

You might want to check to see how HOT the laptop runs with it, before comitting that pc to it....

Caught...

PurSuiT - 1,922,848

bdotobdot - 1,590,281

ParoxysM - 1,583,431

I have a few old Xeon servers at work...maybe I'll power them up this week B)

I'm scared to install WCG on the production servers. That would be my ass if the apps/files were suddenly slow/unreachable.

Understandable.... (no installing on production servers)

Wouldn't it just be nice if we could just have 3 quad-core PCs (each) instead to run WCG on... /me dreams....

When the lappy runs full tilt on the dual core's it's not to bad on heat. Just need to make sure the vent and the bottom are free of blockage. There is a decent vent, fan, and heat piping it seems. Hell, I was warming my hands a little with air that was coming out yesterday.

When the DES distributed brute force software was out the Admin's at Westin were running on all the servers and PC they could lay thier hands on. There was some BIG hardware they go to use. Not as impressive these days, but back then... DAMN!

When the lappy runs full tilt on the dual core's it's not to bad on heat. Just need to make sure the vent and the bottom are free of blockage. There is a decent vent, fan, and heat piping it seems. Hell, I was warming my hands a little with air that was coming out yesterday.

When the DES distributed brute force software was out the Admin's at Westin were running on all the servers and PC they could lay thier hands on. There was some BIG hardware they go to use. Not as impressive these days, but back then... DAMN!

Glad to hear the lappy is properly vented.... Guess manufacturers were finally sick of seeing all the laptop cumbustion videos on youtube B) Also, remind me to show you the stats on my stepson's pc compared to yours!!

Yeah, always nice when you can rig up all that horsepower and not have to pay the electric bill for it!!