World Community Grid

Hmmm, you might put the speed down slightly then, if it lets you put your case were your most happy with it. If you do put WCG/BOINC to run at anything lower than 100% it will bounce up and down, averaging to what cpu usage you set it to. Ya, kinda wierd, but if you set it to say 70%, it will NOT run at 70% on your cpu usage meter.

Oh, forgot this for WarSpartan, a link you will probably not find for CPU temps at different speeds, just cause it varies to differently, from cpu to cpu, case to case, airflow, ambient room temp, case temp, etc. But with the stock Intel cooler, my stepsons E6600 (dual core, stock 2.4) runs at 40C at 100% load.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, I have been reading more about how WCG utilizes resources and it takes a back seat to what ever you are working on, so when I'm truly idle then it's at 100% most times, but if I'm doing stuff like streaming music, watching a dvd, emailing, web surfing and the like, then it scales back a bit.

Yep, WCG is very friendly in that regard, but normally your (windows) CPU usage meter should still be at 100%. Say giving 74% to WCG and 26% to Media player, or whatever. There might be a brief lower cpu usage during tasking switching, although on most PCs, I have not noticed that.

BTW, are you running Vista or XP? As I run XP and run BOINC as a service, which might make a small difference there. As I think PurSuiT told me you can not run BOINC as a service in Vista.

I get about 12 results and 4900 pts per day with the system in my sig.

I just hit the 5 year mark, you will be past me in a week or so. :) Funny to think you started this on a laptop in a Baton Rouge, LA hotel room, where the employee's were stealing all the old mattress's in the parking lot.

:)

I get about 12 results and 4900 pts per day with the system in my sig.

Same here with my gaming rig.

This started in LA?

PurSuiT must be hitting the whiskey at work again. LA is where my khaki pants got stolen my the cleaning lady's pimp.

I joined WNYG team in Jan 07 (5 years) , but was on TribalWar's team beforehand (11 years 8 months). I was ranked under 100 out of 300,000+ members last summer, but am a slacker now.