World Community Grid

I set it up on a new Intel dual core box and it only yields 26 hours a day, piece of junk (8,800 pts in 4 days). My AMD dual core system yields 47+ hours a day and over 10,000 more pts in same time span.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, you should be getting like 5,000 pts for 48-ish hours after 24 hours has past.... Maybe the Intel does not like the project your working.

• 1 month later...

BOb is pulling away fast after I had to remove 2 computers...

Member - Points generated

bdotobdot - 2,630,895

ParoxysM - 2,441,500

PurSuiT - 2,195,698

Edited by ParoxysM

I think I may hold off on doing the crossfire thing and just have 4 monitors going to have some fun. As of right now I'm not playing anything my current setup can't handle at max graphics. BF2 is easy, but Tabula Rasa is pushing it really... But it's only in Beta and it's only playable at certain times of the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Since my system is finally stable at 3.2ghz (up from 2.4ghz) I am running WCG 100% now on my quad core when I'm not using it and I bump it down some when I'm gaming. I find that even when it's at 100% it doesn't use the full resources on all 4 cores all the time... sometimes 3 cores are at about 80% (up and down) and the 4th is just hanging out at about 35%. It's interesting to monitor.

I have a second computer (800mhz P3 320megs ram) that I have working on WCG at about 70% resources because anything more and I can't move my mouse easily lol. I will be building a 3rd machine from my old parts Pre-upgrade and that will be a P4 2.6ghz 2gigs ram.

Hey if anyone has any PC133 ram they want to give away to help the cause let me know, that P3 is kinda struggling.

Hmmm, interesting. I would have expected it to fully utilize all four cores. Are you cpu limited it at all? Either in the WCG settings on the website, or in the BOINC client itself? I know on the E6600 (2.4 dual core) I run WCG on, it runs fine at 100% both cores, and pumps about 5,000 generated points in a days time, if not gaming or other heavy cpu usage)

I know on all the pcs i've tried (athlon 2200+ with 512m ram being the slowest so far) WCG runs transparently, as long as there is enough ram and virtual memory is not thrashing to the hard drive. You can RAM limit usage (and/or cpu limit) in the BOINC client also, which might help on the slower pc. (Advanced, Preferences, Disk & Memory Usage)

Hmmm, don't think I have any extra pc133 ram around here.

yeah I'm not sure why it's doing that on my Quad Core... I think I'll run orthos and prime95 for 24 hours each again at 3.2ghz just to make sure things are working well... I changed the air flow of my office so it's much cooler in there now as well which I think was the key for my system becoming stable. I even moved my computer from the floor to ontop of my desk and that dropped the temps a bit too.

But I am thinking that perhaps quad cores just don't need to run at 100% all the time on WCG because I see it cranking away... sometimes at 100% sometimes less...