Data Rates 10/100/1000 Ethernet / Fast-Ethernet Controller

Integrated Memory 64MB DDR PC2100

Integrated Processor 32-bit @400Mhz

IEEE Compliance 802.3, 802.3u, 802.3x, 802.3z

Data Path Width 32-bit PCI Rev 2.2’

Data Transfer Mode Bus-master DMA

Heat Sink Magnesium alloy

Future-Proof Field Upgradeable

Nice, sounds a lot like my Intel PT 1000, but Killer uses the older/slower PCI interface....

That you can dial your ping up and down, sounds,,, ummmm, like it can't be trusted no matter what it reads.

Although I did sign up for info the pre-order....

Seems a couple links on their page have issues.

Actually, it can run on PCI 2.2 or PCI-X slots. From the I/O plate (the thingie that has the screw hole and ethernet jack), if there is a notch after 10 pins, it can be used in 3.3V PCI-X slots. If there is a notch after 48 pins (from the beginning of the PCI fingers), it can be used in 5V PCI slots. Though the Killer can be used in both types of slots, it doesn't say what the PCI bus frequency is, since PCI has 33 and 66MHz, and PCI-X has 66, 100, and 133MHZ... this would be pretty interesting to see in action.

Besides, how fast can you really expect? The slowest PCI bus (32-bit 5V PCI 33MHz) has a maximum bus bandwidth of 132MB/s, and Gig-E speeds are only 100MB/s... The card should handle everything that you throw at it.

That being said, I want one.... :dork:

Believe he was thinking PCI Express 1x as the intel NICs Bob and I have are Intel PT 1000 PCI Express 1x.

"For PCs with PCI Express (PCIe*) slots, the Intel® PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter offers the newest technology for maximizing system performance and increasing end-user productivity. Specifically, the Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter uses auto-negotiation to allow the adapter to run at the highest available network speed (10, 100 or 1000 Mbps), and it maintains full bandwidth capacity with the dedicated 2.5-Gbps bandwidth of a PCI Express input/output (I/O) bus to provide connectivity you can count on."

Intel® 82572GI Gigabit Controller - Enhances high performance and reliability.

Interrupt moderation - Delivers increased performance while significantly reducing CPU utilization.

Someone was writing a review on the MT vs PT vs onboard, I am not naming names or anything. :P

Buckett, PCI is 132 MBytes/sec total bandwidth, where gigabit ethernet is 1000 mbit/sec (in each direction), which for the nic, translates to (1000mbit/(8bit/byte)) 125MB/sec in each direction, so a giganic could easily overwhelm the pci bus. Even more so since the PCI bus is a shared bus between all PCI cards & devices (read IDE, USB, etc)

PurSuiT, testing should be done shortly.

:popc:

PurSuiT, testing should be done shortly.

You want to compare with a couple 3Com 10/100's PIC Nics also? Do not think I sold them all last year @ the comp show.

Sure, hook me up!!

• 4 weeks later...

Interview with Killer NIC

GD: What makes your product better than a standard Network adapter?

Bigfoot: This excerpt from our white paper addresses this fairly accurately I believe:

“There are no consumer products available today that are comparable to Killer. In addition to being a Network Interface Card (NIC), Killer is also a computer within a computer. With Killer’s Flexible Network Architecture (FNATM) you can literally run a Linux command prompt in a window on your gaming PC. This command prompt interface is a Flexible Network Application (FNappTM) that will come on the Killer install disc. Killer is the only network card that runs an open-source version of embedded Linux and allows users to write and download their own FNapps to the card. Killer is also the only consumer level network card that boasts full gaming-network offloading functionality. With Killer, your gaming operating system does not perform any IP or UDP functions or calculations (everything is handled in the card).

Many network products today claim to ‘offload’ network calculations (like checksum, tcp segmentation, etc.). Those technologies are usually only for TCP/IP networking (which most games that Hardcore Gamers play don’t use). Those technologies are also incomplete as they still go through multiple layers of the gaming network stack to eventually get data to the game. With Killer, we completely bypass your gaming PC’s operating system and go directly from our card to the game. Our card automatically handles things like IP Reassembly, UDP/IP checksum, UDP and IP header verification and stripping, etc, etc, etc. By bypassing your gaming PC’s operating system and allowing Killer to handle everything, Killer can achieve levels of gaming network performance well beyond the offloading features claimed by other consumer networking products (NICs or onboard chipsets).

There are a few network chips/chipsets in the market today that claim the ability to prioritize network packets. Killer also prioritizes network packets, but Killer is the only card that can prioritize both incoming and outgoing packets. However, prioritizing network packets is the least of Killer’s features. For these other consumer networking products, prioritization is usually the main or only feature. From a scientific standpoint: prioritizing network packets is a feature best left to routers, because gamers rarely run multiple applications while they are playing games. But with Killer, a gamer can run FNapps while playing games without impacting his or her computer’s CPU performance. An example of an FNapp is a file-sharing utility that runs in Killer’s Network Processing Unit. This sort of file sharing FNapp would have zero impact to your gaming CPU or your Network: the ultimate in performance!”

GD:  What’ll be the retail pricing of this card?

Bigfoot:  $279.99

rofl I think I'll stick with my 3com for now... Although it will be interesting to see just how much performance this offers. But with a sticker tag like that :blink:

Edited by OCNoy

Yeah, its crazy expensive!!! I actually need to re-read the pdf on my Intel PT 1000 PCI-e 1x nic and see if my card does this already:

Our card automatically handles things like IP Reassembly, ..., UDP and IP header verification and stripping

I need to visit Intel's site more often, this took me way to long to find...

Intel PRO 1000 PT PCIe 1x nic uses the following chip:

Intel® 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller

"The Intel 82571EB Gigabit Ethernet Controller for PCI Express is designed for high performance and low memory latency. The device is optimized to connect to a system Memory Control Hub (MCH) using up to four PCI Express lanes. Alternatively, the controller can connect to an Input/Output (I/O) Control Hub (ICH) that has a PCI Express interface. Wide internal data paths eliminate performance bottlenecks by efficiently handling large address and data words. Combining a parallel and pipelined logic architecture optimized for Gigabit Ethernet and for independent transmit and receive queues, the controller efficiently handles packets with minimum latency. The controller includes advanced interrupt-handling features and uses efficient ring-buffer descriptor data structures, with up to 64 packet descriptors cached on chip. A large 48 KByte per port on-chip packet buffer maintains superior performance. In addition, using hardware acceleration, the controller offloads tasks from the host, such as checksum calculations for transmission control protocol (TCP), user datagram protocol (UDP), and Internet protocol (IP); header and data splitting; and TCP segmentation."

Intel's "header and data splitting" and "TCP segmentation" sounds a lot like KillerNic's "IP Reassembly" & "UDP and IP header stripping"

Killer Nic - Spotted: First Pics

"The first reaction to our interview last week with Bigfoot was met with a lot of skeptisism - and mainly because we in the hardware community have seen so many "snake-oil" companies come and go. Well to help substantiate its claims, Bigfoot Networks slipped us out some photos of its pending "lag-killer" network card. Two of these are pre-production units and the other is what the final product should look like."