I wanna upgrade, but only a little bit...

Mother Lover

I am running a Dual PIII/866 system with 1 GB registered ecc PC133 ram.

I have a Geforce 2 GTS 64 MB video card now.

I wanna upgrade the video, but i dont want to go too far... I dont want to put a 5,000 dollar stereo in a 500 dollar car.

I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of 100-150 dollars for a new video card.

any suggestions?

I'd like to stay with Nvidia (never had a problem with nvidia), but I will go with an ATI card (i heard the drivers have gotten better).

thanks

~ML

Probably like a 5700, le, xt from Nvidia. By now the 5900s should be around that price too, maybe a little bit more.

The only problem with getting something this low end now, your going to be thinking about upgrading the vc by this time next year. Just a warning :) .

And when you get a chance Mother Lover, please fill out the rest of your info in your profile. Thanks. B)

Dragon

Stay away from ANY FX series nVidia card, they blow chunks (the bad way)!! Anything else should be good.

Does your motherboard support 2x/4x AGP? As most of the cards are 4x/8x now-a-days. Might be difficult if your m/b is just 1x/2x.

Stay away from ANY FX series nVidia card, they blow chunks (the bad way)!! Anything else should be good.

Does your motherboard support 2x/4x AGP? As most of the cards are 4x/8x now-a-days. Might be difficult if your m/b is just 1x/2x.

My mobo supports 1/2/4X AGP.

I am not going to upgrade this box next year... the next upgrade will be a whole new machine. I want this to be just enough to get me by untill i have the scratch scraped together to build a new machine.

nVidia 6600 would be ok, assuming they have it in 4x/8x, as a quick looked seems to show just 8x. If not, like Conan4Life mentioned, a GeForce4 4600 would be decent.

ATI drivers have improved tremendously!! bobsbrat just had to replace her 8500 with a 9550 256Meg is a nice card.