Doom3 & ATI driver speedboost

B.Ob.

Cat 4.9b & Doom3 real secret about speed boost ?

For those that have read the reviews of ATI's and nVidia's top hardware, nVidia has/was holding a comfortable lead over ATI. And there has been talk for some time that ATI was completely rewriting their OpenGL drivers (which these would NOT be part of), but interesting read just the same!! I'll quote the first msg to get ya warmed up:

"Well after lot of testing with 4.9b i came to conclusion that the speed bump i got of 2-5% from cat 4.8b is that the 4.9b OpenGl drivers uses 16bit colors.

You can see Color bending all over the place in Doom 3, specialy evident on the smokes and the shadows with 4.8b is super smooth as it should be, but with 4.9b it's color bedning galore.

So folks there you go ATI is working really hard to speed up the OpenGL, i mean it was really hard to force 16bit colors in OpenGl thinking wee will not notice it.

The actual boost is coming from lowering 32bit to 16bit.

I hope this will not be ATI practice in the future lowering image quality to get speed boost i know they got desperate with realese of DOOM 3 but common "ATI" try harder dont give us the so called " HOT FIX " like this lowering image quaility.

The worst thing there is no way to force back 32bit.

I'm back to 4.8b for now"

Unfortunately, I don't have the 4.9b(eta) Cats to try it out myself B) Although I'm running 4.7's myself currently, with a 2.1GHz Mobile XP & 9800 PRO 128 at Med quailty @ 800x600 and I'm quite happy with the performance SO far!!

9800 PRO 128 at Med quailty @ 800x600

That sucks to have a newer card and have to drop the res...

To be honest, it set it at 640x480 by default. I want to try it at a higher res and quality setting, but its looks SO awesome now, I've just been playing when I have time.

Remember, I still have to get my UT2k4 Onslaught fix!!! B)

ParoxysM,

I've been playing Doom3 from the start @ 1024 x 768, Medium to High quality settings w/o any issues whatso ever. I also run an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 128 ram w/ Cat 4.7 drivers. My cpu is running @ 2.2 gig w/ 1gig ram. It slows down only slightly when I put it on Ultra quality mode, which doesn't happen alot. To be quite honest, I agree w/ B.Ob., the game is so qorgeous looking @ the "default" settings that I can see why he hasn't moved the settings up higher. I'll be chking out the FPS soon when my kids aren't around to see what I'm getting. This is definitely not a game for the kiddies to see... "Mature Rating - Blood & Gore. Extreme Violence"

They weren't kidding w/ that rating, but it's a good time & the graphics are awesome. Hopefully someone w/ release a COOP mod for it soon so that Xbox players aren't the only ones capable of that playmode.

-- Nem

I haven't tried on any of my systems using ati cards yet but I know carcass tried them on his 9600xt and said the frames really didn't go up but it got rid of the lag that he would get sometimes and it runs like butter now. So far no other issues have cropped up, plus I was reading alot of forum posts no one had any complaints except for 1 person had slow downs in morrowind which I really don't know anybody who still runs that game anymore. Not much has changed except a much better openGL driver.

This is darn interesting!!!!

How to boost your Doom3 performance by 40% on ATI hardware

"An interesting follow-up discussion may be why this dependent texture lookup is much slower on our hardware than on nVidia. Maybe there's an architectural difference that's to blame, or maybe something else? The main point here though is that this should be good enough proof that ATI hardware can run Doom3 just as good if not better than nVidia, and that we can pass on all the "ATI suck in OpenGL", "ATI's drivers suck" etc. into the trashcan where it belongs."

Try it a third time...

We've actually have a odd posting error showing up since we moved to the new machine!! You get an error screen, like the post didn't go thru, but it does!!!

It you get this, just ignore it!!

Mail Error!

SMTP protocol failure!

Host: localhost

Return Code:

Return Msg:

Invision Power Board Error: Could not open a socket to the SMTP server

Check your SMTP settings from the admin control panel