WNY Gamers Club March LAN Event

I guess to each thier own with tastes in game. I didnt realize you didnt like it pursuit. Probably the way i feel about Q4, lol. I'll hit it if everyone is playing at the lan it but i'd never want to touch it otherwise and would never want to own it.

Sorry War it is not that I really hate the game play of CoD4, it is just that there is no way I can play it and ever be any good at it. I loaded it back up the other day to see what it was about it that I was not digging. Low and behold it came to me, as I was getting creamed, it is the colors they used. As I am legally color blind (not red/green mind you, I can tell those apart thank goodness. There are 4 types forms of color blindness btw) I can not tell the differences between the back ground and the players even after being shot point blank in the face. If a player is standing still it is like liking at one of the Dot Test, they are invisible. This is something that I have to watch out for in games as it can be a very unfair advantage and color blindness is a disability that I think very few developers think about when they pick their color schemes, though they are leaving out 5 in every 100 males in the world.

Just wanted to explain why games like Q4 and TF2 work for me, CoD2 MP rocked also. Some boards on crysis I have the same issues though with, the frozen ones mainly.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually that is a good point on CoD4. In a lot of instances especially indoor situations everything is shaded very similarly and low light is just a nightmare, lol. I cant count how many times ive run into a room/attic/alley and just got mowed down by a guy i didnt even realize was right THERE. Overall though you dont normally run into it, just a few choice spots in the game for me. So with your condition it probably expands the # of instances you run into it a lot. I do think they blended that all on purpose to let the camo work better for people, and it does. Oh and of course theres the guys who have the gillies - on grassy maps they become almost invisible. But I dont see snipers as a high performing class in that game anyway.

My one regret is I havent had the time to play Crysis yet, which was a game i was far more excited about than anything else. I can revisit TF2 one of these times - I guess, lol.

Example, if you are fully color blind you see nothing. But I see the first number only. (Don't want to give the number away though), I have a modified receptor

ishi22.jpg

Found a really good program that takes screen shots and converts them, I can not see that much of a differance but if you got normal vision it should be noticable.

Orignal:

1203864135_orig.jpg

As someone that is color blind sees it (as per www.vischeck.com conversion program)

1203864135_sim.jpg

BTW, Crysis rocks, and I was not a big Farcry fan and was even less when the 64bit patch for the game crashed my system. but I am all for Crysis.

Ramblings of a colorblind gamer

"But what of how it relates to my favorite pastime, videogames? How does my lack of rods and cones affect how I do what I do for a quasi-living? Which games can't I play? Which developers have I come to respect? What am I missing out on, and what do you take for granted?"

Rankings of online MP games...

Crysis - > #20

TF2 - #14

WIC - > #20

How about playing this?

COD4 - #2

Why not attend and then ask?

Rankings of online MP games...

Crysis - > #20

TF2 - #14

WIC - > #20

How about playing this?

COD4 - #2

Well since I have not seen you at a LAN in a bit and I was putting the games I WANT TO PLAY not sure what you are getting at. This is a house LAN and games to be played will really depend on the ppl that show up.

I was planning on showing up if you play games that I own...

From previous posts, it sounded like you had already gotten Crysis and TF2.... In fact, I've seen you on xfire playing TF2.

http://www.xfire.com/profile/paroxysm/

Username: paroxysm

-- Game --------- Past 7 Days ----- Total

Team Fortress 2 10 hours 10 hours

I dont have Crysis or WIC. I bought the orange box and COD4, 'cause I thought that's what we would be playing next month. I played enough to make sure my bindings were what I wanted.

Why not attend and then ask?

Dont take this the wrong way and I just want to be plain. This is not meant to be a criticism so please lets not get into a fight over it. Im not calling anyone out. I hope this doesnt create tension in any of you but if it does at least read through it and know Im not trying flame or create any tension, I just want you to understand my thoughts on this / where im coming from:

I can agree with paroxysm on this idea. Im of the mind that I'd want to know that a game Im interested in is going to be played before I make plans for attendance. I am extremely busy - I work long hours on a 2nd/3rd shift and cover the day care for our children to boot. Because of this big split schedule I sleep on average only 2-3 hours per day all week long. Thats it. When saturday comes along its my rare day to either get some more sleep, take care of house jobs, do a family activity, go to a LAN, game at home, meet with my game group, etc. - or worse case scenario work some more.

If Im going to make plans to attend a LAN I want to play something that I'd be excited about and have a little experience with. Theres 2 things I dont like doing at a LAN:

1) Learning a brand new game for the 1st time in multiplayer, which is just an excercise in frustration (unless its 100% brand new for everyone).

2) Sitting through hours and hours of a game or games that dont even interest me in the slightest, or in some cases I just really dont like (done many times there now).

Now I have no problems playing games other people are interested in, and in fact have done that everytime ive attended a wnyg lan. Im still willing to do that but now also want to know that a game that I am interested in has a spot in the lineup, and not only that will actually be played. If I know that will happen I will attend the LAN with no reservations, happily enjoy other peoples favorite games with them (even if i dont like them), and patiently wait my turn. Im simply no longer interested in attending a LAN "asking and hoping" that a game I like will be played, and sitting through say 6 hours of games I have no interest in and/or really dont like, then finding out nothing I wanted to play will be played. That sucks in a way and feels like a wasted day. This has been a big factor in me not attending LAN's over the last year, aside from work and family schedules.

However you should realize I am still interseted in the LAN's. I would in fact be happy to attend when Im free. I just want to know that a game Im excited about will be played and at least given a decent block of time. Thats it.

Lately on forums you guys have started waving the "You need to come to the LAN's before we'll even listen to you" stick around. Though I can understand this - its also a little flawed in some respects. For example I came to the LAN's as a regular for a long time there, didnt get to play what I was interested in, played a LOT of what I wasnt. Only in 2 blocks of time at the LAN's there did I get to throw down in a game that I was excited to play. Basically I did the "come to the LAN's FIRST and ask there" routine, and it didnt work in terms of getting games I was intersted in, played at the LAN's.

Because of this I have been of the mind that I ask first to see if a game Im excited about will be played. If thats not the case then the LAN becomes a low priority. So as the saturdays come closer - I've been checking the chatter on what might be played, if something sounds good and Im not working then I schedule for the LAN. Ive been thoroughly yelled at here for suggesting that a games list be made for each lan, much less any kind of scheduling. I no longer make that kind of suggestion. But a feeler here and there to see if a game might be wanted I still do, and Im assuming thats fine.

Long story short:

I am interested in LAN's. Im happy to attend if a game im excited about is going to be played. Ive already come to LAN's and asked for certain games unsucessfully over a significant period of time. So now I just want to know ahead of time if games I want to play will be played before changing or making my schedule to include the LAN.

No flame no hate. Thats my story.

:(