WNY Gamers Club March LAN Event

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the servers in the dmz? I can hop on later maybe.

Sorry, did not see this early enough. We played CoD2, Quake4, Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, and FlatOut2.

Good times!! ;)

Np Bob, PurSuit informed me that the games were LAN-only and I was not welcome to play anyways.

Only one cheater per LAN, "Big Splat" Nothing besides Q4 was DMZ'd and we only played like 2 or 3 maps. I also only said you should be at the LAN if you want to join in. ;)

I can't always go to these LANs. Once you have children, an on-call job, a wife that works an opposite shift, etc...your free time will be negative too.

Yuk!! For quite a while, bobsbrat and I worked opposite shifts, so except for a few hours once a week, the only time we saw each other was when the other was sleeping!

I can't always go to these LANs. Once you have children, an on-call job, a wife that works an opposite shift, etc...your free time will be negative too.

Yuk!! For quite a while, bobsbrat and I worked opposite shifts, so except for a few hours once a week, the only time we saw each other was when the other was sleeping!

His kids are younger bob so I understand, but it is also not always possible to have server setup in the DMZ. WarSpartan had a util we might get going for VPN gaming access.

The utility was Hamachi. Im sure some of you have heard of it. Works quite well for most games. Some are a little stubborn, but thats usually older games anyways. Basically its creates a VPN lan over the internet. So if everyone is on it you can play games almost as if you were sitting on the same lan. Simple to setup. Some games require a trick or two to get going - usually stuff like making sure the hamachi IP is the one you use when tring to connect and not the default lan IP's. I would definately suggest a quickie setup and dry run for any game you might considering doing this for before the lan just to make sure it wont muck up for some odd reason.

Games I know that work just fine with it are:

CoD2

Far Cry

BF2 & SF, etc.

Generals & Zero Hour

Age of Empires 3

AvP2

LotR:BFME

Really most games seem to play fine. Some games will give an oddball higher than lan ping but not all. For example Ive seen in CoD2 the lan ping is 30-40, but the hamachi ping online is around 80. AvP2 also has a high ping. Far Cry surprisingly has very low pings.

Anywho any questions holler.