ATI/AMD's R600

Confirms what was all over the place, but from a source we all trust.

AMD Pushes R600 Back To May

"What this announcement means is that R600 will not be available until May. While the world keeps waiting for the flagship D3D10 hardware to compete against Nvidia's G80, we will all have to sit back and watch Nvidia gobble up market share from AMD."

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMD blasts 'devious' Intel

"AMD moved to squash mumbles of manufacturing problems with the R600 GPU, which has been delayed "a few weeks". It wheeled out a teraflop-capable desktop working off GPU-enabled "stream computing". Researchers at Stanford were already writing supercomputing applications for the beast, which has two R600s on board.

"R600 is doing very well and there's a reason we're going to launch it when we're going to launch it... I'll take the blame", Richard said.

Launching Direct X 10 chipsets piecemeal was not welcome among AMD's OEMs, and would not give the best economic value for the firm, despite the clamour for new kit from hardcore gamers and computing enthusiasts, he added."

• 2 weeks later...

All AMD R6xx chips are 65 nanometre

"The 80nm R600 die - as it was leaked - will now come to life only in a very limited amount of chips, since AMD decided to solve their problems by pulling all resources to go 65nm across the board, including this 720 million heavy monster. This drastically reduces power consumption and enables AMD to clock R600 to 1 GHz or even more. Mass production R600 WILL BE 65nm."

:post34:

• 4 weeks later...

R600 Pictures Emerge?

"Earlier today PCinlife posted pictures of what they claim to be ATI's next generation R600 video card. The pictures have since then been removed, and we are on no position to comment on them, so you can make up your own mind. smile Thanks to "phk" in our forum for snagging them."

ATI Releases More "R600" Details

At the top of the DirectX 10 chain, is the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT. The AMD ATI Radeon HD 2900-series features 320 stream processors, over twice as many as NVIDIA’s GeForce 8800 GTX. AMD couples the 320 stream processors with a 512-bit memory interface with eight channels.

The R600-based ATI Radeon HD 2900-series products also support 128-bit HDR rendering.

• 2 weeks later...

The Clash of the Titans - AMD's R600 preview

As far as the specs of these high-end models are concerned, here's what we have so far:

- 700 million transistors - 32 TMUs, 16 ROPs

- 320 stream processors (some rumours indicate 64 4-way unified shaders but we're yet to confirm this)

- 512 GDDR3@900MHz model, branded as HD 2900 XT

- 1GB GDDR4@1.1GHz model, branded as HD 2900 XTX

- Hardware HDCP, HDMI, Crossfire support

- rumoured additional Overdrive mode for OC, but only if you have 8+6-pin PCI-Express power connectors (inside info we got - with this, card OC's from 750/1650 to 800/1800)

- 8-pin PCI-E power connector compatible with 6-pin

AMD Radeon HD2900XT specs leaked on web

"Geometry performance is vastly improved, as is expected from vect5D based marchitecture, and gamedevs can now use Geometry Shaders, unlike certain green products. Comparison between a single HD2900XT and 8800GTX SLI in geometry shaders will be quite interesting.

To boot, the company decided to team up with Valve and offer a free bundle featuring a couple of upcoming hit titles."

umm ... when it done? and i was gonna try ATI chips in my next machine... probally going back to nvidia if they dont have it under control by the time i get to buying new video card(s)

umm ... when it done? and i was gonna try ATI chips in my next machine... probally going back to nvidia if they dont have it under control by the time i get to buying new video card(s)

It is supposed to be a hard launch (cards available immediately) on May 14th.