Friend needs some parts tested :-/

I have a friend who recently has been trying to put together a computer. I went over there yesterday to build it for him, because this was his second CPU and second motherboard. Long story short something is not working but I dont have anything to test with.

I'm looking for someone with an AM2 board nice enough to test a CPU and some DDR2 ram. Just trying to narrow it down for him so he knows what's wrong. Reply or AIM me, same name I use here.

Ouch, that sucks. I upgraded a couple months before the AM2 window opened. Althou on another thought, you could probably test the DDR2 in an Intel system.

Yea, I guess if someone has an Intel system with DDR2 that would at least eliminate one item. I was just hoping someone would have AM2 so I could test the ram and chip at the same time.

Asus M2N-SLI board, I think, but he bought it from newegg open box. When you put the chip in it beeps 8 short, 2 long. The manual doesn't provide the post codes, just says something like "If it beeps more then once or not at all, contact your retail center for support" Take the chip out (with RAM and Video still in) and it just turns on for about 30 seconds then powers down.

Hmmm, strange google just turns up a lot of one long and 2 short beeps..... :(

It sounds like 1 long beep almost, but it pulses a little bit, which makes it sound to me like it's 8 short beeps spaced too close together.... but I suppose it could be 1 long 2 short...

He said he was just gonna return it (mainboard) anyways at this point. Since no one I know (or here either, it seems) has AM2 there's no way for us to test the CPU. Sucks to see people have such problems on their first build.

Hmmm, strange google just turns up a lot of one long and 2 short beeps..... :(

It sounds like 1 long beep almost, but it pulses a little bit, which makes it sound to me like it's 8 short beeps spaced too close together.... but I suppose it could be 1 long 2 short...

He said he was just gonna return it (mainboard) anyways at this point. Since no one I know (or here either, it seems) has AM2 there's no way for us to test the CPU. Sucks to see people have such problems on their first build.

That sucks, but probably best to RMA it.

Ah, my first build... lots of memories... both good and frustrating.... :D:angry:

I recall the 2nd build when I had another working PC at the time. My god, what a difference!! :cheer:

One long 2 short is RAM, same thing happens if you try to boot a system without any ram in it. If you're using x16 DS sticks, I've found some motherboards require the latest bios to support them. I'm going through this now with an ASUS P5B with OCZ Gold DDR2 800. I just sent the board to the manufacturer to flash to the latest BIOS and send it back to me.

One long 2 short is RAM, same thing happens if you try to boot a system without any ram in it. If you're using x16 DS sticks, I've found some motherboards require the latest bios to support them. I'm going through this now with an ASUS P5B with OCZ Gold DDR2 800. I just sent the board to the manufacturer to flash to the latest BIOS and send it back to me.

Funny I think that's the exact ram he has now... I was thinking it was RAM related, but with the RAM and Video in, it just shuts down after 30s.... with the CPU installed (with or without RAM) it does the beeping. I'm going to see if I have a spare DDR2 stick at work I can 'borrow' just incase when he gets his replacement board in tho.

Thanks for all the help :angry:

My Gigabyte board does the same thing without the CPU installed, Noy. If I put the CPU in, it will stay powered up but beep without RAM installed. I had an old Epox board that was the exact opposite, though....

Not all motherboards stay running without the CPU installed. It seems as though it's the RAM at fault...