This goes to the people that have been posting the past few days:

Has the forums been slow or timing out for anyone besides me? At best, its a it little slow, and its the same for me at home or accessing the forums from work.

I know the router has been of questionable reliability lately and I have a brand new replacement on my desk here, ready to go in when I get home. I made some changes to the forums to cut down on its load, but no change for me so far...

If it ends up being the unix box, I'm gonna beat that thing like a "Fax machine from Office Space" after we get the new box running properly.

*TEST EDIT* now that the new router is in place... same. Grrrr

Plug it directly into the router, instead of the SMC switch. It seems to work like it should *gasp* 3 edits in a row, and no time outs! :)

Interesting development here... I'm getting quick responses when I first "reply" to something, but when I "submit" my post, I'm now seeing a delay of 5 - 8 sec's. This wasn't happening b4. This could be a simple fluke & nothing more may come of it later on.

Gray hairs? Me?! :) They would be part of the family.... :angry:

But really, now that it is kinda (stressing kinda!!) fixed, I recall doing something similar when we were in Clarence, but I just plugged the box into a different port on the same switch! The current unix box is finickier than a /MUTE ON

/MUTE OFF

Needless to day, I've been doing reading on getting the new box set up properly, but it will take a while longer yet. (qmail, apache, mysql, virtual/multiple domains, then this board program make up my short list).

Plug it directly into the router, instead of the SMC switch. It seems to work like it should *gasp* 3 edits in a row, and no time outs! :)

It's not the switch is it? try unpluging the switch to reset it. Not like it make a diffence now that you got the other one on the why, but just an idea.

Plug it  directly into the router, instead of the SMC switch. It seems to work like it should *gasp*  3 edits in a row, and no time outs! :)

It's not the switch is it? try unpluging the switch to reset it. Not like it make a diffence now that you got the other one on the why, but just an idea.

I havn't plugged it back into the SMC switch, in fact, the Dlink 8-port giga-bit switch came today!!! So I'll have to get that in tonight. There are still 6 machines plugged into the SMC switch and none of them have problems!! I even moved my own machine to that same port that unix was plugged into and no prob for me!

Trust me, I've seen this before on our Unix box, its a crazy box!! AMD 300MHz, Linksys v2 nic, 256Megs of RAM, with a 10Gig HD. We are migrating to a P3 850MHz, 768 Megs of RAM, 40 Gig 7200 HD, with an Intel 1000/MT nic, so life will be better soon!

Seems better now...or maybe cause it's 4:52am

Cool beans, glad to see someone 2nd it!! I put the dlink giga-bit switch in this morning, but the Unix box is still plugged into the router directly. Things should be even peppier once I can make "fax machine/Office Space"ness on the current unix box!! :)

Posting times are mucho better now. I still sometimes see slow response times when trying to get back to the main posting page, but other than that I see a HUGE difference is speeds now!! I'm not sure if this is my issue or that of the box, but I thought I let U know about it.

-- Nem

p.s. -- I have a rather good sized sledge hammer over here that we can use on the soon to be "office spaced" unix box :)

The slowness is a problem with the box!! But it is responding and not timing out like before. Now back to my qmail reading....

FYI for all - Curious, last 2 nights, we have lost our connection. And it happened twice last night. Hmmm, both times the modem looked to have sync, but I could not ping it from work. Hopefully this is short lived problem....

I tried telling you guys we need backup batteries on the routing hardware. It makes a big difference. Jau should remember how his switch and router stopped working from a momentary power glitch, made my battery pack beep for just a moment. Then he started plugging the switch into the pack whenever I was there. B)

I know that will take a few $$, you would need them all over the basement