got my X-Fi Extreme Music

Sacred

Cool beans!! Don't forget you might need to change it from Game mode to Entertainment mode with the Creative Mode Switcher!!

But how much extra resources does it utilitze?? My onboard realtek uses as much as 21MB.

Hmmm, good question. Should it matter since I have 2 Gigs of ram?!? B)

Creative have traditionally been pigs in the resource/mem usage. At least my AWE 64 and SB LIve where. People that I've known that had the audigy series have told me that has not changed.

I'll have to check the mem usage on the Creative drivers for X-Fi when I get home....

Even though I have a similiar system as you Bob, I still disable everything I dont need running. Who needs print spooler anyways.

I really should be more proactive in doing that....

Looks like the X-Fi is taking up 16megs of ram on my system currently.

It is certainly a steal at that price!! Be interested to know how you like it once you get some time with the X-Fi.

Do yourself a favor and leave it set to "gaming," unless you can remember to switch it all the time when your going from gaming to listenning to music. I haven't had too many problems with it, but BF2 always loses sound when I forget to switch it to gaming. Doom3 takes advantage of the X-fi with a patch so I would assume the same problem would come up.

There is a big difference in sound quality between music and gaming and since mp3s sound like crap to begin with, switching to music helps a lot. B)

Dragon

So I got my card yesterday...and it cleared my BIOS after plugging in, yay!! It sounds a little better I guess, havent tested it enough to warrant $100.

It cleared your BIOS, OUCH!! I had mine since from the beginning, as the only time i pulled it was when my pc would not boot, which was a faulty p/s. But clearing the BIOS, thats wierd... Is the PCI bus OC'd maybe?

I didnt OC the PCI bus, no purpose except instability. I only reentered 60% of the settings I remembered, so I got something to do tonight.

I bought a UPS from BJs too and have to hook that up as well.