got my X-Fi Extreme Music

Sacred

I just wanted to post a possible solution to anyone having the crackling/popping issue with their Xfi card. I probably should've read the 130 page post on Creative's site about the issue before I bought this card, but oh well.

I initially lowered the PCI latency in BIOS from 64 to 32, but that didnt help...and the ultimate solution was to set affinity per game (only occurred in games for me).

Flatout2 would drop to desktop without that setting too...sometimes would be able to play for hours before dropped.

Interesting. Most I had read on the "cracking/popping issues" had to do with the pc running single channel ram, or similar issue. Surprisingly, even thou my ram runs at 140MHz, I have rarely run into this.

I think Nemesis had a similar issue with FlatOUt2, but his was caused by not installing the DX9c from the game CD. Sadly, there are many versions of DX9c!!! Once he installed DX9c from the FlatOut2 CD, he was good.

• 2 weeks later...

Creative blames Nvidia for X-Fi problems

"According to the report, which can be seen here, Creative said that when it looked at the PCI bus on the nVidia nForce 4 motherboards when the crackle symptoms happened the Soundblaster X-Fi card PCI bus master memory requests for audio data were held off for ages."