PCI-X for video cards

Here's a good read for those of us who aren't ALL that familiar w/ the upcoming 8x AGP replacement. It's called PCI-X & it looks really good. U can read all about it by clicking HERE.

Now the question I face is should I hold off on getting an 8x AGP ATi Radeon 9800 Pro in favor of this OR just bite the bullet & get it & sit back & watch the impact pci-x has on the market along w/ the cost involved in it?? Decisions, decisions.

Happy reading.

-- Nem :unsure:

Here's a good read for those of us who aren't ALL that familiar w/ the upcoming 8x AGP replacement. It's called PCI-X & it looks really good. U can read all about it by clicking HERE.

Now the question I face is should I hold off on getting an 8x AGP ATi Radeon 9800 Pro in favor of this OR just bite the bullet & get it & sit back & watch the impact pci-x has on the market along w/ the cost involved in it?? Decisions, decisions.

Happy reading.

PCI-X will require you to upgrade everything... Muhahah!

Certainly interesting!!! And eventually, we'll all have 'em, just like BTX computer cases. But I'd hate to see a GF2MX in a PCI-X slot.... Laugh not, you know they are coming!!! :unsure:

Yes Pursuit, I'm aware of that little fact. I'm planning on upgrading my mobo, chip, ram & video card sometime in March. If I decide to wait for the PCI-X crapola, then I'll wait b4 upgrading anything. However, I'm getting the feeling that I'm better off just getting what I can for now & not worry about PCI-X until it has been thru its paces w/ us hardcore gamers to truly see that it justifies the cost behind it, whatever that may be. On top of that, IF I decide to wait, my present video card won't support the newer games coming out, leaving me to sit in my little corner of the world watching as everyone else enjoys the new stuff, and THAT just isn't going to happen. Ah, the joys of PC's B)

I think what the other guys are getting at, is that AGP 8X is more than fast enough for the next couple years. Heck, what is most important is was is ON that video card. (reference my GF2MX on PCI-X card above) Cause all PCI-X is, is a bigger pipe, which if you have good+ card, even AGP 4X would be fine.

Besides, if they are gonna force me to upgrade, I better get the improved motherboard layout and cooling of a BTX case!!! Also, I hope this will mean that the primary heatsink/fan goes on top of the card!!! :unsure:

PCI-X will require you to upgrade everything... Muhahah!
Just the mobo and vid card, not hardly everything.

I'm planning on upgrading my mobo, chip, ram & video card sometime in March. If I decide to wait for the PCI-X crapola, then I'll wait b4 upgrading anything

I'd wait till the new ones come out anyway. With the new PCI-X boards and cards on the market, all your new stuff will be cheaper. Your $$ alocation will go much further, could jump 2 grades in the cpu and vid for the same dollars.

Question is- when do they hit the shelves? and are you willing to wait that long

Can anyone here say VESA Local Bus?

"A VLB slot is a 16-bit ISA slot with third and fourth slot connectors added on the end. The VLB normally runs at 33 MHz, although higher speeds are possible on some systems. Since it is an extension of the ISA bus, an ISA card can be used in a VLB slot"

Sounds alot like PCI-X, VBL only lasted on Mobo's from '93 to' 94. and then PCI took over. Only time will tell if PCI-X takes off.

I thought AGP would never last, I think that you might see both slot on boards for awhile, but you never know.

Whew... got bad shakes with memories PurSuiT's post brought back....

I think Nem was sleeping again, and I forgot myself. :unsure: The article Nem refers to is really talking about PCI-Express, not PCI-X. There is kinda a neat article here comparing PCI-X and PCI-Express. Perhaps I like it just cause it talks about 10 Gbit ethernet... B) but if you read nothing else, skip down to this:

"PCI Express in Client PCs

For the sake of completeness, we wish to offer a few comments about how PCI Express fits in to the client space, including as a replacement for AGP.....But of late, each doubling of AGP bandwidth (now up to 8x) has yielded less in terms of measurable performance – perhaps just a few percent"

Wow, what a debate I have started here B)

Keep the posts coming gang, I appreciate them.

Next thing U'll know is that we'll have a new topic discussing just how "OLD" Wargasm really is, is he willing to divulge that info & did Mages really sell his "RACK" on ebay!! ( click HERE for details )

Whew... got bad shakes with memories PurSuiT's post brought back....

I think Nem was sleeping again, and I forgot myself. :unsure: The article Nem refers to is really talking about PCI-Express, not PCI-X. There is kinda a neat article here comparing PCI-X and PCI-Express. Perhaps I like it just cause it talks about 10 Gbit ethernet... B) but if you read nothing else, skip down to this:

"PCI Express in Client PCs

For the sake of completeness, we wish to offer a few comments about how PCI Express fits in to the client space, including as a replacement for AGP.....But of late, each doubling of AGP bandwidth (now up to 8x) has yielded less in terms of measurable performance – perhaps just a few percent"

I've been finding as of late that I have been sleeping alot when posting. Simple mistakes such as that are gonna become commonplace till I break that new habit of mine :P

-- Nem