EDIMAX Gigabit Ethernet Adapter $14

PurSuiT

Its a nice looking card, but I hate those mail in rebates. They count on them getting lost in the mail or you forgetting a minor detail when sending it in.

What about the brand? Does anyone have a piece of hardware from Edimax? Is it reliable?

I'm always leary about buying a brand I havent tried before. That made food shoppng difficult when I moved down to Middletown. All the food brands are different

EDIMAX 32bit PCI 1000/100/10Base-TX Copper Gigabit Fast Ethernet Adapter, Model EN-9230TX-32 - Retail Only $14  :)

Click Here

Even without the rebate, $24 is pretty reasonable. I've been leary of other giga-bit cards that don't off-load TCP and IP checksum. I know the Intel PRO/1000 MT does it, and I think the 3com and Broadcom base nics do as well.

This D-link DGE-530T nic that Nemesis showed me does not appear to do that, nor does the EDIMAX. Or at least I assume so, as I can't find the EN-9230TX model on EDIMAX's website!! :D

The Intel card made a HUGE difference in processor usage in the game server, when it was a P3 850. I havn't checked/compared it now that it is in the XP 2000+ box. Of course, that begs the question, with faster processors, does the off-loading really help much in anything but the server?! B)

Personally I am with BoB on this one and would only look at the Intel MT NIC. Figured I would list the other ones for those looking to make the leap on a budget. The offloading on the Intel NICs seem to give back 5% to 15% of your CPU. B)

INTEL Pro 1000 MT Desktop PCI Network Adapter, Model PWLA8391MT - Retail $43

Personally I am with BoB on this one and would only look at the Intel MT NIC. Figured I would list the other ones for those looking to make the leap on a budget. The offloading on the Intel NICs seem to give back 5% to 15% of your CPU. B)

INTEL Pro 1000 MT Desktop PCI Network Adapter, Model PWLA8391MT - Retail $43

Hmmm.. with that much in favor of the Intel Giganic then I'll definitely have to look into getting instead of the Dlink. I wasn't able to find any info on the dlink that stated it helped out w/ taking some stain off the cpu like I see w/ the Intel one.

-- Nem

If I had an open slot, I might get a GNIC...Im using onboard with Nforce 2 mobo.

You don't have an open slot?! :) I have a Intel 1000 MT and a SCSI card in mine, along with a firewire/usb port bracket and still have 2 slots free.... B)

My 9700 Pro has the Zahlman heatsink attached (which makes the card 4x the size) plus I have a slot fan next to it.

Just curious, have you tried over-clocking it at all? (or is that why you have the slot cooler in there?) as the few reviews I've seen with a Zahlman cooler didn't seem to overclock as well as a normal HSF'd video card.

So now we have to make the mobo manufacturers give us room for a monster cooler on the video card......

Some motherboards move the first PCI slot one spot farther away from the AGP slot, like ABIT's NF7 and NF7-S. Still leaving 5 PCI slots available even if you have one of those nVidia 5950 Ultra cards that takes up 2 slots!!