General theory on installing ramsinks..

Cyberg0d

I have a couple of sticks of 512 Ultra PC3200 DDR and I figured for $3 I'd get the heatspreaders when I bought the ram. The conflict I'm seeing here is that the ram has a sticker over the chips that says warranty void if removed. I'm pretty sure to have the best thermal efficiency and adhesion of the contact pad of the heat spreader, that direct chip contact is needed. What has everyone else done? Go over the stickers, or rip the suckers off and not worry about the warranty? I have a call in to Ultra too to find out what their official stance is.

Hmmm, I have not put heat sinks on my ram. Although the ones I have now had them already and still run quite hot to the touch. They are PC3200 CL2 (2-2-2-6, which is within spec of the ram!) but I guess I was still surprised how hot it runs. Putting heat sinks on the ram alone might not help as much as you'd like. I think PurSuiT had done something different with his ram to make it run cooler (although I believe his ram already had sinks/spreaders on them also)

Oh, to answer your actual question: How well do you think you can clean the glue & paper off the ram chips without damaging them?

I know you like to tinker and such, so you probably have experience doing that. For someone doing it for the first time, I'd say leave it on, unless it looks like it will come away cleanly with just peeling it away.

By the way, do they get hot at all just running normally?

No, they don't get hot, but I haven't OC'd yet. Everything is running at spec ATM. Obviously, I want to change that B)

I called Ultra and they said the sticker warning is more to prevent people from removing it and sticking it on another stick and sending it in for RMA. The guy I spoke with said to peel them off and save them just in case, but if it came down to it, he thinks they would warranty the product as long as I called them first.

Oh no, Cybergod upgrade his pc? Will he be able to frag with the best of us? Does his better half know he's going to be gone all this weekend?

These questions and more to be answered ummmm... when I feel like answering them. B)

Dragon

I think PurSuiT had done something different with his ram to make it run cooler (although I believe his ram already had sinks/spreaders on them also)

You are correct that my ram had spreaders but I ran into an issuw with going to water cooling I did not think of, no air flow over the RAM from the CPU HSF, as that CPU fan noemally blows over the mem. Since I have a Abit AN8 Ultra which is the = to the Abit AN8 Fatal1ty with less fans, so I went with the following from the Fatal1ty board,

ramflow-b.jpg

now my mem is kewl as can be B)