ok new stumper

Conan4Life

alright been haveing a light crashing issue, havent veen able to figure it out since my Aopen a77-8xn has a built in hardware controled breaker/ kill switch and never gave me a error except that of a pc speaker alarm, witch i found is for when something overheats per the manual

basically after installing some hardware monators i found 2 things

1)the chipset, via k400, was over heating

2) the -5 volt from the power is sitting at -6.1 vts the +5 is sitting at about 4.2

the heating problem fixed with the install of a fan on the heat sink of system controler but made me think the -6 may be over charging the chipset and over heating it.

after getting the fan going no crashing occured with the tem staying about 38 degrees c

any thoughts would be helpful

hmmm, the voltage reading you got from the BIOS, or monitoring software? That is way out of spec, and would generate excess heat and probably shorten the life of anything using that voltage rail.

Have another power supple you can toss in, even just temporaily just to get another reading on it?

Also, do the Capacitors and Mofsets (sp?) look ok around the CPU?

that per the hmonator (i think that the name) software ill check the bios when i get home and a better look at the chips around mobo and see if there is any darkning, melting ect.

down side i dont have another ps to thow in to verify

i belive it looked fine when i took it apart to give it a good cleaning about 45 - 60 days ago (ohh so dusty with the smokers i live with)

most anthing pertaining to the cpu did look ok tho

I'm sure I can break a machine down next LAN you make it to just so you can try another one for readings, comparison, etc. Good luck!! 6v just sounds WAY too high!!!

if a chip goes pop befor then i know it was :lol:

------update------

alright winbios says its running ar 5.9, still a bit high ,not shure but will look into tho, maybe the chipset cant handle the power of the 6800gt

• 3 weeks later...

ok starting up again im thinking for cleaning it out again on thursday, too bad i wont bemaking to the lan this time cause of moving

but im really thinking that a capasator may have went

the 480 psu is more than enough and no other rails are over chargeing

fount this preaty spiffy http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/Po...tor.php?cmd=AMD

and now the weirdist thing is that playing games dont crash the system or sent out a halt over heating command (hardware wise ) but norton virus scan and life simulator (memory heavy??)

programs crash it so confuseing...

Cool link! Hmmm, that is odd. The AV might stress part of the CPU that games or other pgms don't. Prime95 will stress your CPU and memory so you can be sure of that. I run SETI myself on all of the machines 24/7/365, so I usually find out about any issues pretty quick when they appear.

Sorry you can't make it, but there will always be next month!!!!

• 2 weeks later...