PurSuiT

Serial ATA - Which One?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Serial ATA - Which One?

• Western Digital
    • Seagate
    • Maxtor
    • Don't Care

Sorry, don't have the funds for anymore PC parts right now. But when I do, getting a Mobo which supports the new SATA is on my list of things to do. I suppose I'll need an SATA adapter as well to plug into my exsisting hard drive. Sigh... the joys of owning a PC & the never ending "upgrades" for it :(

-- Nem

It seems even the SATA that comes built-in on some of the motherboards still only offers 2 ports. Or its an add-on chip like mine, which get funneled thru the PCI bus (still not an issue with current HD speeds) So its not like your gonna build a SATA only system just yet, unless your happy with 1 hard drive and 1 optical drive.

Of course, you could go out-of-control and toss in a coupe PCI-SATA cards... B):(

Bob have you tried using the SATA converter that came with your Abit board on an optical drive. I was under the impression that you need a Serillel2 converter. Mine has Serillel on it and have not even bothered trying it for this reason.

Bob have you tried using the SATA converter that came with your Abit board on an optical drive. I was under the impression that you need a Serillel2 converter. Mine has Serillel on it and have not even bothered trying it for this reason.

I was planning on it, but havn't tried it yet. Not sure if I have the Serillel or Serillel2 converter, but I will try it when I get home and update here with my results!

*update* I put the adapter onto my Plextor 48x CDRW and the system would not boot fully (under w2k sp4). It seemed to get to the end of the screen where you see Win2000 Pro, and would normally start to switch to the desktop view, but it just sat there forever (5+ mins). I pulled just that SATA cable off and the system booted normally again. I have the Serillel2 adapter, as that and the normal drive power connector were fighting for space, so may need to try with my DVD-ROM drive and see if that has any different results. *to be continued*

When the PC posted, it did see the Plexy on the SATA chain thou.... :angry:

Also, since I was looking around in the BIOS, I clocked up (just increasing the multiplier) my Barton to 2.16GHz (3000+ territory), so we will see if SETI@home goes a little faster. Oddly, the temp of the CPU did not change!! :D

Curiously, it did the same thing when I hooked my DVD-ROM up to the 2nd SATA port. (got to the 2k splash screen, filled the blue bar, but never made the leap to the desktop view) I do have an extra HD as a slave (no master) on the primary IDE chain that I will be getting rid of in a while. SO maybe that will help.... Otherwise, SERILLEL2 is garbage for me....

Also, my clocked up Barton was randomly rebooting once a day, so I clocked it down to 2.00GHz (nearly 2800+ speed) and it seems completely stable. (No, I didn't try upping the voltage on the CPU. Since this is my main system, I don't want to push it too hard!)

Also, the JA server it seems no one can connect to, and no one is usually up when I am, so I havn't resolved that quite yet.

• 3 weeks later...

They got a new review over here at Tom's Hardware of Maxtor, Hitachi, Western Digital 250- GB SATA drives. Sadly, they ommited Seagate... :rolleyes: