PurSuiT

Serial ATA - Which One?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Serial ATA - Which One?

• Western Digital
    • Seagate
    • Maxtor
    • Don't Care

Just ordered a Seagate SATA 120MB drive... Hoping that it will show some improvment over my WD 80MB SE Drive... Going from ATA100 to SATA150 should, we shall see. Anyone else already have a SATA drive and if so is it really better or is it all hype? Guess I will find out soon enuff!

Only thing significant I've seen on SATA drives has been a roundup article over at Hard|OCP here. Definately let us know how it is for you!!!

New SATA drive is in and works great... Can see a noticeable improvement over IDE... Besides speed, I can not hear it at all, which kind of freaks me out... like when I am waiting for the drive to do a hard read, nothing and then it starts coping... Now if I could just get all my fans to push 75CFM @ 25dB... :)

I hope you succeed in getting BF working on your new baby, as I'm sure it will run better on yours than my old P3 850.... :)

That will leave mine for Ut2k3 and JK:JA B)

The frag/basement is taking shape! I have all my big tables up and 2 extra switches wired up and ready to rumble. :) (Thats 22 available ports for those keeping track at home) Thanks to Nem, I can keep my last 8-port switch in reserve. B) But it will probably go into service for convience, so wires aren't going everywhere!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm about to install a Western Digital 120GB SATA drive. I even got a right-angle, red colored, SATA data cable. I guess I liked WD's 3-year warranty, but I hear they have a PATA-to-SATA bridge chip on the drive and is not true SATA, not that storagereview.com had any complaints about the performance of the WD SATA drives compared to others.

I wouldnt worry about it. If there is a PATA to SATA chip on there, its just acting as a data funnel. As long as it can keep up, you wont notice. I still dont see how serial can be faster than parallel anyway. The data still has to be converted at both ends. :ph34r:

True, HDs aren't that quick as to be too much of a burden. It looks like all the SATA drives, with the exception of Seagate, use a PATA-to-SATA bridge chip.

Serial ends up being much faster. Even though less data gets there per clock, they can push the clock MUCH higher. (RAMBUS memory is another good example) SATA has a 150MB/s top end where PATA has a current peak of 100 or 133, depending on the drive/controller combo. SATA will be upgraded to SATA II (300MB/s) in a couple years, and SATA III is in the planning also. Good info here.

It pretty much comes down to timing, which is why the push to SATA, as PATA was/is hitting its limit. You really can't add more wires to the cable (its at 80 now!) and the faster you push, the less tolerance you have for all the data getting there at the same time, as if it doesn't then it has to get resent again.

Its gotta be something with the EMI, interference with the other wires in the ribbon thats causing the limits. Serial doesnt have the line noise issues. zzzzzzzzzzz - I think the engineers are asleep. The solution is simple. The ATA cables need to be fiber. That would cut down on the durability, but that ends your emi/noise issues and limits for pata. :ph34r:

I'm sure thats in the future, after they top out on the SATA. They'll call it multiple sata or something but it will be just getting back to parallel with better x-fer technology.....

Its gotta be something with the EMI, interference with the other wires in the ribbon thats causing the limits. Serial doesnt have the line noise issues. zzzzzzzzzzz - I think the engineers are asleep. The solution is simple. The ATA cables need to be fiber. That would cut down on the durability, but that ends your emi/noise issues and limits for pata. :ph34r:

I'm sure thats in the future, after they top out on the SATA. They'll call it multiple sata or something but it will be just getting back to parallel with better x-fer technology.....

EMI was why they went to 80-pin cables, so there was a ground wire between every normal wire to reduce cross-talk. And those cables came in at the ATA-66 standard, which almost makes you wonder if rounded cables is really a good idea!! ;)

I'll be happy to ditch the PATA standard and go with SATA for the new systems I make going forward. Even thou you can only have one drive per connector (no master/slave jumpers to set!), the SATA spec says they can go up to 1-meter in length!! So you can finally fill those full tower cases with HDs other than SCSI now!! :P

Also, they already make SATA to PATA adapters, so you can use your old HDs (100 or 133) and CD/DVD drives with the new SATA controllers.

Fiber is nice, but expensive, assuming giga-bit fiber nics are any indication of cost.

The round cables sure are easier to work with, but you may be right bout the crosstalk. My rounded cables look like the wires are straight, not twisted.....now if they were fiber, crosstalk wouldnt be an issue. We could still have or parallel x-fer, at much higher speeds, higher integrity and even longer cable runs possible......kinda like comparing cable to DSL(2 subjects we are all very familiar with) Cable internet works everywhere because the only copper is in the drop, the trunks and feeders are fiber. Case insides will look cool with fiber conductors. :ph34r:

Is there anyone besides PurSuiT and myself that are using SATA cables and/or drives?