The last Valve game I will ever buy- HL2

heftysmurf

I have a lot of gripes with this game. Really I have no problems with the core of the game. Great story good graphics etc. These are things that make me angry however:

1) I own the collectors edition. Without cracking it why do I need to use the CD? If I would have got the pure steam version I would not have to use the cd.

2) Who gave Valve the right to make me a bit-torrent client for their use

3) The stuttering with 6800's still exists.

4) Half-Life 1 source is a joke

5) Half-Life 2 MP really is on the cumminity. I am no fan of CS & was angry when I installed HL2 with no MP then the MP patch came out which was more a demo than anything. This was lame on Valve's part.

6) If you do not need steam to play once you initially setup why does it connect everytime I logon unless I use zone alarm to kill it.

I hate a good game getting killed by so called "good ideas" that have nothing to do with the game & heavily tarnish the experience.

Die Seam Die.

Bring on Duke Nuke'm never :-)

And you laugh it me for tweakifying everything...I dont have any of those issues. Except maybe that CS is OFN and I would not play it again unless everyone game on the HD was removed and the only Internet access I had was to a CS server with < 50 ping

I don't need the cd/dvd to play after the one patch they took out the cd/dvd check, I agree that HL source is a joke, at least they could have included MP with that. HL2 DM is'nt what I'd hoped it to be, like you said it seems that they are leaving it to the mod community to make maps for it which is disappointing to say the least, they should release at least a couple of maps for it since they made the game. I'm not sure on the studdering issue, I thought it was more of a sound card issue than a video card issue last time I was researching it.

I know they have new beta's for the 6800 series which I haven't tried yet 71.25 WHQL'd http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=966

which might help. I will post later, I've been meaning to put them on and test.

They also released a new version of NVtweak 1.71 (coolbits + alot of other tweaks) http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40820

that seems to help tweak alot of options you normally don't have access too.

I was thinking about what you said in the post hefty and was laughing cause it's only the 2nd vavle game you could of bought, lol. I think we as game consumers have gotten way to picky in some cases, If a game isn't 100% awesome from head to toe we deem it to be a bad game or failed attempt by the company. I think HL 2 is a great game from a tech. and story stand point, my only real complaint is that the MP side was lacking but we knew that it was gonna be, they told us before the game came out!! Doom 3 the MP was lacking as well and still is. These games were made with SP experience in mind first and fore most, they did kinda of did rope a dope us into getting the collector's edition for HL 1 source which I thought was gonna be redone with alot better graphics and still retain the MP aspects of the game but sadly it didn't and that is one of my biggest complaints with this title. Oh yeah I tried the new drivers I posted above and they have been working pretty good, seems to run HL 2 real smooth and looks great and it has awesome options for dual display and using the dvi connection to hook up to HDTV. Just for those options alone it's worth using the drivers, for me anyways. I would also try to remember the game industry about 5-10 years ago and some of the horrible games we were sold in that time. Killer games were few and far between, HL 1 was one of the games to really change that. As well as diablo 1&2, warcraft II, Starcraft, Descent 1&2, X-wing vs. Tie Fighter(what ever happen to this great series?? or anytype of good space/combat flight sim for the PC? RIP), baldur's gate series, etc. I'm sure I'm missing some other great titles and I didn't want to go to far back in gaming history but I think the game industry has come along way in most aspects, except for the fact that 80-90% of titles are FPS or RTS. We could use some other styles of games aka diablo, NWN, and some good old space or combat flight sims. Oh well I think I've babbled enough, :dork: :rotfl:

I was thinking about what you said in the post hefty and was laughing cause it's only the 2nd vavle game you could of bought, lol. I think we as game consumers have gotten way to picky in some cases, If a game isn't 100% awesome from head to toe we deem it to be a bad game or failed attempt by the company. I think HL 2 is a great game from a tech. and story stand point, my only real complaint is that the MP side was lacking but we knew that it was gonna be, they told us before the game came out!! Doom 3 the MP was lacking as well and still is.  These games were made with SP experience in mind first and fore most, they did kinda of did rope a dope us into getting the collector's edition for HL 1 source which I thought was gonna be redone with alot better graphics and still retain the MP aspects of the game but sadly it didn't and that is one of my biggest complaints with this title.  Oh yeah I tried the new drivers I posted above and they have been working pretty good, seems to run HL 2 real smooth and looks great and it has awesome options for dual display and using the dvi connection to hook up to HDTV. Just for those options alone it's worth using the drivers, for me anyways. I would also try to remember the game industry about 5-10 years ago and some of the horrible games we were sold in that time. Killer games were few and far between, HL 1 was one of the games to really change that. As well as diablo 1&2, warcraft II, Starcraft,  Descent 1&2, X-wing vs. Tie Fighter(what ever happen to this great series?? or anytype of good space/combat flight sim for the PC? RIP), baldur's gate series, etc. I'm sure I'm missing some other great titles and I didn't want to go to far back in gaming history but I think the game industry has come along way in most aspects, except for the fact that 80-90% of titles are FPS or RTS. We could use some other styles of games aka diablo, NWN, and some good old space or combat flight sims. Oh well I think I've babbled enough,  :dork:  :rotfl:

WOW, now I think I have truly seen it all... ellilion has FINALLY admitted that he BABBLES!! I think someone hasn't been taking his medication again :rotfl:

On a more serious note, I would love to play Descent 3 again, I truly enjoyed that game. I wish they would get Descent 4 out, but who knows if that will ever come out.

ellilion, do U have Descent 3? Single player story was cool & multiplayer rocked.

-- Nem

Yeah I have descent 3, still have my original copy from back in the day-circa 1999. It's weird that the game is that old already.

Cool, next time when your neck isn't tormenting U, we should hook up & play @ a lan to see how we do. While there, U could also look up kalvinclyde & give him some pointers on how to post "intelligently", like when he's making truly narrowminded & thoughtless posts about gaming in WoW :evil:

-- Nem

Yeah I have descent 3, still have my original copy from back in the day-circa 1999. It's weird that the game is that old already.

Cool, next time when your neck isn't tormenting U, we should hook up & play @ a lan to see how we do. While there, U could also look up kalvinclyde & give him some pointers on how to post "intelligently", like when he's making truly narrowminded & thoughtless posts about gaming in WoW :evil:

-- Nem

lol, sounds like a plan Nem :P