DVD Burners

I'm now in the market for a DVD Burner. I've found 2 choices that seem to do the trick, but I was wondering what U all think b4 I jump in & grab one. So here they are...

Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive for $ 66.99 ... LINK

Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Double Layer Drive Black for $ 65.99 ... LINK

-- Nem

Didn't we go over this one in class already :o . The Sony is OEM, its the Lite-On your looking at getting with Sony's name on it. So, either way your getting a Lite-On.

I love the Lite-On DVD I have and RW. I haven't seen a bad review of the 1633s and that's always good. B)

Dragon

Dragon, I'm pretty much locked on to the Lite-On already. I just wished to hear what others had to say. And YES, we did go over something along the lines of this recently, but it doesn't hurt to ask again.

B.Ob., I just noticed that on Pricewatch.com I can get a Plextor Burner w/ a $30 rebate & end up spending just $60, I may have to look into that. There may be hope for Plextor yet.

If anyone happens across some good deals for DVD Burners, let me know.

-- Nem

I know it's a little more but I have a pioneer 108 which i think is $73-74 at newegg now, but I love it. I had a sony as my first dvd-burner and it was real picky on the type of discs it uses and the pioneer has no problems with any of the discs I throw at it. I've been using 8x dvd-r's Ritek and now memorex and they burn at 12x without any hacks or hacked firmware, if i used the hacks I could burn them at 16x but I'm happy w/12x and a lot of places have had name brand 8x dvd-r discs for 19.99 a 50pack, this week I think bestbuy has the tdk 8x dvd-r and dvd+r on sale for 19.99 but every week for the last 4-5 weeks someone has had the same deal maybe a different brand but as long as it's name brand it doesn't matter all make good quality discs. I just don't trust the liteon brand to make the long haul I've had multiple drives die on me shortly after 1 year but that was dvd-drives and cd-burning drives, never tried a dvd burner from them hopefully they are better quality. Sorry just my 2 cents :o

P.S.-- just looking at the links and both the ones your looking at only do dvd-r at 8x the pioneer does both dvd + and - r's at 16x and DL discs at 4x

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-129-157&depa=1

I just got a NEC 16x +/-, 4x DL a week ago for $64 Newegg Link. I got mine from ZipZoomFly Link $67 Shipped 2day in black

Was looking at the Lite-on also but as Ellilion pointed out it is only 8x DVD-R and 2.4x DL. I tested the NEC out and got 16x on 8x media with no fireware hack, jury is still out on it but it is working ok for me.

FYI:

The NEC is also quiter then either my Lite-on LDW-811S DVD Burner and my Lite-on 52/32/52x CDRW

• 3 weeks later...