Doom3 LAN gamin'

B.Ob.

I've only had one try at internet gamin' in Doom3 and it lagged so bad it wasn't worth playin'!!! But last night a couple peeps stopped over for some Doom3 LAN goodness and it was awesome!!!

I was running a dedicated server and there were just 3 total playing and it played like butter!! (It should have, with all of us having gigabit ethernet, except one, all plugged into my gigabit switch) Oddly the pings still fluctuated from 27 to 2ms. Usually it was in the mid/high teens. (If anyone is interested, I can ramble off the specs of all the machines that were running)

Has anyone seen either dedicated server software for Doom3 and/or what the default bandwidth is per player?

Also, unless someone has custom maps, that 32 peeps mod for MP would be worthless!! The standard maps are just too small!!!

I played on internet hosting a server with carcass also on adelphia and it played like butter, I think all people involved must have a good internet connection. So I think internet play isn't out of the question just for people on a slow connection. I'm willing to play a few rounds tonight or any other night to test but want to make sure everyone has a good connection. I want to try more than just 2 people. I will throw up a server tonight hopefully Name = YoMomma Password = blade, and just so everyone knows if you want to host a server it's port 27666 udp, it took me awhile to find port in forums, of course it wasn't listed in manual or Id's or activision's website. I don't understand why most companies don't make it a little easier to find that info out. :D

Yeah, they do make it hard to find out the port #.... I usually do a netstat -a before and after I have the server running to figure it out!! Thanks thou!!! Less work for me!! :D

Unfortunately, I can't play tonight. :D Already have an event to meet some old peeps I used to work with. Perhaps tmrw night?! Or you can just toss it on your xfire msg when its runnin'.....

Hmmmm, I knew I'd find this eventually. One of the Doom3 console commands:

net_clientMaxRate

Found the above in this UpsetChaps Doom3 Guide in the Console Variables List (Cvars) section.

Also, for those running a dedicated server I noticed that even with no one in the server, the server still takes up 100% CPU usage!!!