'Buffalo Spammer' convicted

'Buffalo Spammer' convicted

"Howard Carmack of Buffalo, N.Y., also known as the "Buffalo Spammer," was found guilty by a jury in Erie County, N.Y., on 14 counts, including charges that he stole the identities of two Buffalo-area residents, which he then used to send more than 800 million spam messages, the attorney general's office said."

'Buffalo Spammer' Sent to Slammer

"Carmack could be out in 3.5 years should he behave in prison, Maione said."

Buffalo spammer jailed <-- Plus more links here!

I must say...Its About Time. Even with the ISP's filters, message rules, etc... I still recieve over 90% spam emails at all address's....except ntac. Its nice to see their finally doing something about it. I did wonder what the giberish was about, but I figured it was a way to get thru some of the spam filters. Now if they can find a way to stop the other issue of the text being part of an image, so the filters dont see it as text.

I am a little surprised that the first spammer convicted is from Buffalo, and the charges that sent him to jail weren't about spamming, more about the methods he used to enable the spamming. Question is how much of the illegal money he recieved will be offset by the $16mill judgment by Earthlink. Will he be left with millions? :doh: