Anybody Own an Athlon64 yet? I do :-)

Hi all,

This is a mini review of an Athlon 64 3000+ & Asus K8v.

Other specs. Integrated sound. 1 gig BH-5 memory 9700 pro.

It is faster would I say OMG no but it is faster than my 3200+ XP.

Some basic benches from the distrusted 3dMark series-

2001se 3200XP - 16,300

2001se 3000-64 18,164 11% faster

2003 3200XP - 4400

2003 3000-64 - 5600 22% faster B)

I have other benches however as this is informal I do not have them right now.

I will also say far cry is definetly faster by a lot.

Having two RAID controllers on the board is weird. I do not see the point even though you could always say the more the better.

The one big negative is losing nforce2 sound. The CPU utilization of everything else except for the soundblaster is quit a bit higher so i figure I am losing more frames from sound than I was before. I forsee a SoundBlaster product in my future.

Cool beans!!! There has been rumors about nVidia doing a sound card, but still no official annoucement. They didn't put their 5.1 sound in the nForce 3 chipset, not even the 250 Gb flavor.

I've noticed with my SB live, that just loading the drivers eat about 10-15Meg Meg of memory just for pc boot. Not a biggy since you have a good amount of RAM. You thinking an Audigy 2?

I bet you I will school your frames in UT or maybe not you did spend 400 hours tweaking it :cheer: It really doesnt matter in that game only your low score matters as you are frame rate capped when you play online. Now if somebody could tell me exactly how to benchmark it correctly I will not need to post my 300 fps scores :-)

Reading up a bit I found that integrated sound doesn't really bite you until you turn on 3d sound. The thing I have noticed as well with this chip is the sound is crystal clear which is better than any other integrated sound san Nforce.. I actually have been thinking of getting an old trusty live card to gain some frames back if I decide I must have 3d sound. I just hate those odd-ball soundblaster issues that crop up sometimes. That is my only regret with this upgrade is that though. Man I wish I had the loot for an x800 PE. Reading benches you need a good processor to really spread it's wings. My poor 9700 pro is now screaming MAMA B)

My poor 9700 pro is now screaming MAMA B)

At least you can say your pushing the 9700 as hard as it can go!! :wub: