ATI interview and chat

B.Ob.

ATI's Radeon X800 texture filtering game

"So ATI admits that it's using adaptive trilinear optimizations most of the time. No mention is made of cases other than colored mip maps—other "atypical" scenarios—where no such optimizations are used."

ATI's Trilinear Filtering Chatlog

"Q: Why did ATI say to the general public that they were using trilinear by default, when in fact it was something else? (quality is ok, i agree, but you did deceive, by claiming it to be a trilinear)

A: We understand that there was confusion due to the recent reports otherwise. We provide trilinear filtering in all cases where trilinear filtering was asked for. As has been demonstrated many times by several people - almost every hardware has a different implementation of lod calculation and filtering calculations. If we start calling all the existing filtering implementations with different names - we will end up with many names for trilinear"

If you want some drool action, check it

ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition - $459.51

check it #2

Sapphire Radeon 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR 256bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model 1024-1C47, OEM - $175.00

It uses different RAM thou!!!

It would be interesting to see of they finally got the 'TV out' feature working properly. I haven't seen one that worked like I expected it to. TV output always seems screwed up. Size is wrong, so the desktop moves up and down the screen, focus is off and there is no way to adjust it, you wind up with a blurry, low rez picture on the TV. If you make it your primary video, and set everything for the TV out, then your monitor is screwed up, and the TV pic is still blurry. You can cure that to a point with the TV controls, then you have to set it back for your cable box. For that price, I sure hope they cured that issue. TV out should be an additional, usable feature, not one or the other. :lol:

At least thats been my experience with the 6 or 7 I've tried using SVID, RCA and coax connections

It would be interesting to see of they finally got the 'TV out' feature working properly. I haven't seen one that worked like I expected it to. TV output always seems screwed up. Size is wrong, so the desktop moves up and down the screen, focus is off and there is no way to adjust it, you wind up with a blurry, low rez picture on the TV. If you make it your primary video, and set everything for the TV out, then your monitor is screwed up, and the TV pic is still blurry. You can cure that to a point with the TV controls, then you have to set it back for your cable box. For that price, I sure hope they cured that issue. TV out should be an additional, usable feature, not one or the other. :lol:

At least thats been my experience with the 6 or 7 I've tried using SVID, RCA and coax connections

TV out will always be blurry compared to a computer monitor, the rez is just 525 scan lines for TV!! Heck 640x480 won't even look that sharp on a TV! Its decent for playing games thou.... assuming you can live/play in the low rez.

Maybe they'll get passed that issue with the new HDTV's. Of course, that means we all will have to buy new TV's, or just channel the cable signal thru the monitor. It will be a few years before HDTV's are in a reasonable price range....but PC projectors are getting cheaper. That might be the way to go.