Interviews: Tim Sweeney

Tim Sweeney on UE3

"BU: UT2004 required 5.5 gigs of hard drive space to install. This has got to be a strain a lot of people's systems. So you're talking 2048 x 2048 texture sets, what kind of system and memory is this next game going to take?

TS: Well, we are aiming at the kind of PC that we think will be mainstream in 2006. We will also be able to scale it down. Basically DirectX 9 cards will be minimum spec, so any DirectX 9 shipping today will be capable of running our game, but probably at reduced detail. If you only have a 256 meg video card you will be running the game one step down, whereas if you have a video card with a gig of memory then you'll be able to see the game at full detail. "

If you only have a 256 meg video card you will be running the game one step down, whereas if you have a video card with a gig of memory then you'll be able to see the game at full detail. "

Ouch!!! Thank goodness I ONLY bought a DX9 card w/ 128mb's now, @ least I can use that as leverage to get a newer card w/ 1gig of ram later on!!

-- Nem

Yea, but it looks like you'll be waiting a few years. Theyre talking about something that isn't on the market yet. Even the X800 Radeons only have 256meg. Its nice that theyre expecting all of us to get new vid cards just to play theyre next release of the game. It will probably require a 4ghz processor, 6ghz recommended. Somehow I dont see that game selling too many copies. :rotfl:

Min requirements - more than you have

Recommended - not available yet, wait a few years :bump: