Crysis

DaPoets

So um yeah... I can play Crysis in Windows XP 64 Pro... but I get an error when I try to load it in Windows XP home edition....

CRYSIS IS OMGWTFBADASS!!

The demo? I've heard its optimized currently more for XP and dx9, but not sure how well it plays in XP64. Whats the error you get in XP Home?

it plays smooth as butter on my xp64... my xp32 gets some security error and won't run..... I posted about it in the crysis beta forums and apparently I'm not the only one getting that error. People were also getting this error when trying to play bioshock.

By the way this is the beta for Crysis, not the demo.... but not much difference I guess...

Edited by DaPoets

Wish I had time to try it out myself. Hmmm, I never looked in Bioshock, since it runs fine on my system. Are you maybe playing on the XP home under a non-admin acct?

After playing Crysis for a few hours last night, I thought I would give a critical review of it while I'm at work and should be doing something else.... cough... Well:

Crysis has the highest graphics I have ever seen on any game evar!

The physics of this game are so on point it's scary... I shot a frog that looked at me wrong, the force of the bullet pushed him correctly, then he kinda started to slide down a hill. I actually watch the frog tumble down the side of the hill because it was so damn well done....

The play style will be easy to get used to once you understand the keymapping... I'm still trying to figure out how to run fast...

Driving vehicles is incredibly realistic and the dynamic damage of your vehicle is completly realistic.

The visuals at some points look like you are actually looking at an HD movie at times. The lighting, the foliage, the dirt, are all done in fine detail to look as realistic as possible. The trees not only lightly blow in the wind, but each individual leaf and branch do their own thing. Bushs aren't just a clump of green graphics... you could probably tell exactly what type of bush you were hiding behind if you were a hordiculturalist (spelling?)

Seeing an explosion in the backround is a site to see... I was busy trying to stay alive and then in the distance I think a tank exploded because it was a mini mushroom cloud w/ flames going everywhere... It was very impressive.

If you want to prone, dive, crouch, stealth (cloaker ability for a short time) beat someone w/ your fist, it's all there. Lots of different guns/weapons. Lots of open space outside and great indoor battles as well.

When you get an objective from your team leader (squad leader?) it's like a mission, unlike BF2 where a squad leader places a target to attack or defend on the map... this feels like more of a multiplayer campaign feel of capture the flag/base/spawn point. The more bases you have the better obviously, and the more bases you have the quicker your opponents tickets tick away. (BF2??)

I would say that when this comes to the store shelves, all the BF games will collect dust. EA Games did this game right and will be the nail in the coffin for all their other FPS games.

The down side...

The graphics are high end... Come big or don't come at all....

what I mean by that is if you are running an atari for your graphics card don't bother as you will just get a slide show while in game... and it probably won't even let you in the beta actually...

The driving is very realistic, so get used to it quick

Finding games that you can get into (servers) are a head ache right now. there are a lot of them, but on most of them, people are hanging trying to connect. The trick is to hit the command key "~" and see if you are getting red text spam... if so,then cancel and try another server.

it's beta... I get artifacts at times

While loading a map, you see the multiple layers of graphics they have to apply to make it look like a seamless world. (where's the pavement? oh there it is, where are the leaves on the trees, oh there they are... etc...)

So on my system:

Quad Core 2.4ghz OC to 3.2ghz

2gigs of PC6400 ram

ATI Radeon X1950pro 512 PCIe

Raid - 0

I can run everything on high, but only at 1280x1024 rez. Crysis can do an auto detect to tell what your highest graphics settings should be and that's what it gave me. All my other games I like to play at 1600x1200 but I guess I'll stick w/ their recomendation.

To be in the beta, you just need a fileplanet account and a system that can run Crysis.

That's it in a nut shell... I just have to find another button to use for my ventrillo push to talk because Crysis wants to use it as the HUD selections... oh well.

end result... I love it.

Wish I had time to try it out myself. Hmmm, I never looked in Bioshock, since it runs fine on my system. Are you maybe playing on the XP home under a non-admin acct?

I'm not logged in as administrator if that's what you are asking but I thought I gave the account full admin access... I know in XP64 I do actually log in as administrator...

hmm

when I load up xp32 home edition, how do I get the Admin account to show up so I can log into it on the log in screen? I forget...

Edited by DaPoets

Adding more ram made my core temps increase by about 8°c apparently... using all four Dimms clearly causes more heat....

But, having 4.19gigs available and seeing my free ram at about 1.3gigs while playing Crysis says a lot...

Adding more ram made my core temps increase by about 8°c apparently... using all four Dimms clearly causes more heat....

But, having 4.19gigs available and seeing my free ram at about 1.3gigs while playing Crysis says a lot...

8'C ? Hmmm, does the ram itself get hot?!? I can see maybe cause the airflow is worse with all stick populated. Just my CPU temp did not rise when i put in my 3rd and 4th stick.

Yeah, I have the MP beta from Fileplanet, and when I run it, my pc just screams upgrade me. B)

Dragon

such as. upgrade which parts?

Best graphical game i have seen on a PC to date so I'm sure it's screaming for new parts...

As for my temp increase it's common for motherboards to have an increase in temps when all 4 Dimm slots are used.

After I tweeked things a bit I have a 6°c increase it looks like...

Hmmm, maybe I have better airflow thru my case than I thought then, cause my CPU temp did not change at all.

Thats one thing I always like about AMD, its not on the stupid bleeding edge of memory. That is a nutty price for 2gb kit!!