Running Ubuntu?

PurSuiT

Anyone running Ubuntu? Finally a linux distro that is free, fairly easy to learn and has been supported (for easy of use and updates) for a bit now.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

"Ubuntu is a community developed, linux-based operating system that is perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. It contains all the applications you need - a web browser, presentation, document and spreadsheet software, instant messaging and much more."

If you got a spare comp or just want the basics and then some check it out.

WINDOWS VISTA AERO VS LINUX UBUNTU BERYL

Have you looked at Fedora 7? I have been messing with Knopix a bit and I am now thinking of installing Fedora 7 x64bit as I have a quad core processor and my windows xp is 32bit. I tried testing out xp64bit but my raid-0 wasn't too happy with the install.

I tried installing Ubuntu on my Linux box and got istallation errors. 2 different downloads didn't pass the integrity check but the 3rd one did, and then when I finally got passed the CD check on the installer, the install bombed out on me. I'll try to swap out the HD I'm using for one of the others I have laying around and see if it makes a difference.

I forgot which Linux I'm running on the Alps box. It was either this one or someother variant. I liked how well it ran even on a k-6 450 with 512 ram. I like the features they keep pouring into Linux. Probably like it so much cause its not Winblows. I loved Linux MCE and keep thinking about putting a box together to run that. :(

Dragon

Edit: It was Blag on the Alps box.

• 1 month later...

Ok over the weekend I finally got Ubuntu installed on my 2nd computer. I upgraded the motherboard/processor from the PIII 800mhz to a P4 2.6ghz.

Ubuntu installed perfectly fine and I had gotten BOINC to install and added 3 of my projects but then while I tried to install my ati drivers the screen when blank (I used the wrong drivers......sigh...) and then when I got things working again, all my projects were gone and I couldn't connect to localhost in BOINC again.... I used "select computer" "localhost" and the pw in the .cfg file... but it won't connect.... now I have realized that the boinc website has been extrememly slow and not working for me half the time over the last day or so so I"m hoping that has something to do with it. I am really loving Ubuntu though!!!

I will be upgrading my Ubuntu box soom to a 2500+ Barton, 2GB of RAM and a 9600XT I got around here, just been to busy with replacing the roof on the house and next is getting the heat working, once winter hits I will be better off.