World Community Grid

Better late than never I suppose... I'm in this WCG now

-- Nem

Sweeeet!! :P:P

I don't think my version of BOINC is stable because at least twice a day my computer has been rebooting (while I'm not using it) while BOINC is running. Out of habbit I turn it off while I'm working on projects or playing games. I'm going to go down to an older version tonight I think. I'm using the beta version for xp64 I think. It never did this w/ the older versions. Because of this my daily average has been a lot lower since my computer could be idle for 7 hours before I notice that it had rebooted....

Hmmm, could be a power supply problem too.... That was one thing I learned the hard way on my rig, as my 520w p/s (and a GOOD p/s) went down cause it could not power my OC'd system anymore. But it powered my system fine 24/7 for a few months before I started to notice problems. After I took my p/s out and went back to stock settings, a 450w powered it fine. Then I got my 700w p/s and cranked it back up!! :P

I have a Kill-a-Watt meter here if you want to see how much juice you're pulling. Speaking of, I should recheck mine and write it down. Also, you might load up some monitoring software and see if your voltage rails are fluctuating at all.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a nice program to show me how much voltage I was using but I can't remember it and the forums where they mentioned it deleted the thread I think.... I just remember the icon had like a purple or yellow gear on it. ah well. But I have internet now. It only took a total of 5 hours on the phone w/ verizon over 2 days of calling, and 12 bitchslaps. Finally they said ok ok ok our bad and here is a $50 American Express Card for our mess up and a $10 discount on your bill each month for 6 months.

About the PSU, I'm using a new antec trio 650 watt and I hope that isn't the issue. But I decided to run my system at 3.0ghz from now on and I havn't seen the random reboot now overnight yet. Even though Prime95 would run fine at 3.2ghz for 24 hours, but that's the thing with overclocking, you can run all the stability checks in the world but nothing is a better indicator of performance than real world usage.

I throttled back to 3.0ghz and there were no reboots... So I guess I can run at 3.2ghz for regular gaming and other uses, but when I want to just run BOINC overnight I have to throttle back to 3.0ghz... ah well.. I'm not that concerend especially since I'll be upgrading to the 45nm processor in the near future... I just have to find a high quality, highly overclockable motherboard.

Your not gonna loose that much from the 200mhz less clock. Its not like their is a Intel (today) that you can buy at stock speed that is faster than 3.0ghz! And you paid a LOT less!!!!!!

Well it's been days and no reboots... so it was that 200mhz that was causing the overnight reboots. I'll try 3.19ghz and see if that makes any difference. if so then just keep dropping it down a touch until I have found my new stability max. I think using 4 sata ports on my motherboard for my 4 drive raid 0 + 10 has effected my OverClock stability unfortunately but it's not a big drop in speed as we see.

Well it's been days and no reboots... so it was that 200mhz that was causing the overnight reboots. I'll try 3.19ghz and see if that makes any difference. if so then just keep dropping it down a touch until I have found my new stability max. I think using 4 sata ports on my motherboard for my 4 drive raid 0 + 10 has effected my OverClock stability unfortunately but it's not a big drop in speed as we see.

I wouldn't doubt with the heavy HD usage.... I remember the nForce2 chipset's had issues with HD corruption with heavy cpu OC's.

• 3 weeks later...
Gratz on hitting 500,000 ddragon64!

Ah yes I remember when I hit 500,000 a while ago, it was a proud moment for me when I could see how quickly I flew by you :-)

B)

I got a bunch of the cancer ones in query already. B)

Dragon

Press the TURBO button on the front of your case and they won't take as long!!

Ah, the Good Ol' Days....

BareXT.gif