Doing an upgrade

Buckett

Finally! Though I've got to do it in baby steps....

I've got my drives and PSU (though I'll be in the market for one of those, too), but what I'm in need of is a mobo, CPU, and video card. Anyone have anything decent sitting around in their spare parts piles?

LOL Good point...Here's what I've got currently:

Athalon Barton 3200+

2GB DDR400 (Which I would really like to keep using in the new board)

Gigabyte VT600 board

Radeon 9800XT (AGP)

SATA & ATA drives

So, what I'm looking to do is get a mobo that uses DDR400 RAM and has a PCIe graphics slot. Like I said before, baby steps. I need to upgrade, but I can't afford $400 for a new system yet. I'm kinda aiming for the $200 range...

So, what I'm looking to do is get a mobo that uses DDR400 RAM and has a PCIe graphics slot. I'm kinda aiming for the $200 range...

That limits you to just a socket 939 Athlon64 m/b. $200 is kinda low for a new m/b, cpu and video card. (Hence why your asking to see if anyone has parts hanging out they are not in need of.) I don't have anything like that unused unfortunately, by maybe I'll surf thru newegg later today.

So, what I'm looking to do is get a mobo that uses DDR400 RAM and has a PCIe graphics slot. I'm kinda aiming for the $200 range...

That limits you to just a socket 939 Athlon64 m/b. $200 is kinda low for a new m/b, cpu and video card. (Hence why your asking to see if anyone has parts hanging out they are not in need of.) I don't have anything like that unused unfortunately, by maybe I'll surf thru newegg later today.

Yea, that's why I'm asking here.

I found a mobo/CPU combo on newegg for 109 shipped. Sempron 3200+ with Gigabyte board. X1550 for 70.

Hmmm, I do recall a $10 (after rebate) Sempron 3000+ on Tiger Direct a while ago, but it seems to be long gone. B)

I know your on a budget and all, but you'll probably hate that video card coming from a 9800PRO.

I know your on a budget and all, but you'll probably hate that video card coming from a 9800PRO.

Why is that? How about going to an x850?

The 9800PRO is/was a kick butt card, basically a high end card when released, and has aged quite well!! I had one myself, picked it up when it hit the $200 range. I would think you'd be much happier with like a 1650pro or 1950pro.

If you can't find a good deal on a cpu, may I suggest this: AMD Opteron 144 Venus 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

They get silly over clocks!! Assuming the m/b allows for OC'n. Esp if you get a better HSF for them.

This should help ya: AMD readies bout of price cuts - again

I'm getting PurSuiT's old gear. ABit mobo, x850, and Sempron 3000+. Though he still hasn't told me what socket type it is so I can start looking for a better processor...lol

NICE!!! If its the one I think he has, its a 939.

Since I'm running a Barton 3200+ (2.2GHz) right now, it seems kinda silly to go to a Sempron 3000+ (1.8GHz) CPU...they're both single-core CPU's, and I'm running a 32-bit OS....definitely not going to see a performance boost out of it....

At the very least, you will not see your performace drop. The old Athlon XP's had to rely on the northbridge for the memory controller, where they are built into the CPU now!! I think your 2ndary cache drops from the Barton to the Sempron thou, so multi tasking might take a hit.