EPOX-9NDA3J PROBLEMS WON'T BOOT

Sacred

I was playing NWN2 last night a few hours from about 9pm to 1am. Everything went great had no issues at all with computer. When I was done I shutdown computer normal. Wife before works she normally goes online to check bank account if she needs to. This morning she turned computer on and it will not boot. Don't even get any beep codes. On the MB just the FF code is displayed right away. I think that's the code for a normal boot. Only time I get a sound from the MB is when I take video card out. I take the memory out and get no beep codes. Do I have a bad MB all of a sudden?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried hitting the reset button after the machine does not boot?

If you get a good boot code, I would expect it to not be a a m/b issue, although if you get a good boot code, I would expect a beep also.

I have had this issue with my Abit AN8 Ultra. Replaced the Memory and PSU worked, but was not the issue as Bob is using my PSU currently and the memory is working fine in another comp.

Those codes actully come from the BIOS and are pretty stdized on most MBs with Award BIOS. FF should not be the normal running code.

For an Award BIOS

postcode-award.pdf

FF = Int. 19 boot attempt

FF = Boot loader

Generally the CODE will be "00" or "FF" for fried boards or dead BIOS.

I doubt your MB dead though, but something is a rye with it. FF means the MB is not even getting past the BIOS post test. Unplug the power, the unplug the PSU connector off the MB, pull the battery and then connect it all up again. If that does not work try a different PSU.

Some more info on Interrupt 19 and where it fits into the boot proccess.

When you hit the power botton the BIOS performs the power-on self test (POST). If there are any fatal errors, the boot process stops (your post is successful if you have and FF error and the BIOS program itself is fine). Now if the POST is successful, the BIOS calls INT 19 (Interrupt 19) and then proceeds to look for devices attached to the motherboard. The BIOS code begins its search by looking for a video card, more particularly, its looking for the video card's built in BIOS program, (normally found at location C000h in memory) and if found, runs it. The system BIOS executes the video card BIOS, which in turn initializes the video card.

with an FF error you have not even gotten to the video card BIOS yet so pulling it will do no good.

I turn it on nothing happens. I remove the vidoe card and that is when I get sound from board. I don't understand it it ran great last night. ok the post code FFh or CFh direct from MB book state;

problem 1. BIOS chip inserted incorrectly 2. Incorrect BIOS update version. 3. Mainboard problem 4. Add-on inserted incorrectly. 1 and 2 definately not it. I doubt it is # 4 but possible one of the card might cause this. I tried my old agp card same result nothing happens. possible its the sound card but thing went great last night.

The MB is not OC at all. I tried resetting the BIOS same result FF code.

I am stating to think this is related to bob's bad cap issues. After looking around on the NET I think they are just using crap capacitors on mother boards these days and the boards are under powered.

Those don't ussually show up til you used a m/b for a while. If so, looks for capacitors that are tipped, or appear to be swelling. They should have level, shiny tops when they are good!!

BAD CAP

cpu-cap.jpg

Yes but it is very odd that there are no initial beeps it just immediately shows the FF. Within a second of pressing the power button.

Exact same issue, used to beable to get it to go away by unplugging the power connection off the MB. Then one day could not get that to work. Replaced PSU worked. thought the PSU was dead but I tested it in another system and it worked and right now Bob has been using it for over a month in his system. So PSU was fine, GOT ME!

Yes but it is very odd that there are no initial beeps it just immediately shows the FF. Within a second of pressing the power button.

Good reason to reset the BIOS with the jumper, or take out the battery if no jumper.

I did that already. one of the first things I did.

Remove all power connections except video and MB removed the cmos battery for a minute or 2 put battery back in still get same result. is it possible the CPU could be bad. all the caps look to be good.

Edited by Sacred

I did that already. one of the first things I did.

Remove all power connections except video and MB removed the cmos battery for a minute or 2 put battery back in still get same result. is it possible the CPU could be bad. all the caps look to be good.

I had more problems with this Epox MB than I had with any other brand. I am kicking myself for buying it now.