1 gig raM 2 -- 512 sticks

Sacred

Is 80.00 too much.

Well, seeing the link shows a single stick for $89.99, certainly $80 for both is more than reasonable!!

Although doing a quickie search on newegg for Crucial, ddr400, 512meg, CL3 sticks go from $50-$68 each. Which still leaves your asking price a good price!!

Its an okay price however its used hardware. Whenever the price between used and new hardware is even remotely close i will ALWAYS buy brand new.

I dont mind buying used parts but I consider them a risk.

* Someone has already used them for a period of time using up some of the life expectancy.

* You dont know if there was any over clocking involved and therefore how hot or aggressively they used the hardware - which can have a tremendous impact of life expectancy for the parts if not how stable they are.

* Generally there isnt any kind of warranty involved with used parts, or there might be a problem claiming it.

* The part could be straight up broken or have serious defects (whether known by the owner or not). And if its junk and the seller refuses to take it back you are pretty much out of luck.

In the end since used parts carry such significant risk and usually reduced life spans I expect to get them considerably cheaper than a comparable parts pricing. The lower price accomadates the increased risks and problems with buying used.

Newegg a set of these 512x2 is $99. Comparable memory elsewhere can be gotten at $80 easily. I probably wouldnt front more than $40-$50 for a pair of used sticks in this situation B) If im going to take the risk it has to be worth it B)

This isnt meant as a rub at all, just in response to your question if $80 is too much.

*  Someone has already used them for a period of time using up some of the life expectancy.

Life expectancy on most computer hardware is into the 1000s of years range. Long after it is out of use and in a land fill and you are gone.

*  You dont know if there was any over clocking involved and therefore how hot or aggressively they used the hardware - which can have a tremendous impact of life expectancy for the  parts if not how stable they are.
If it has been over clocked I want to know all the settings and exact how high you got it. Even better deal if you got it high.

*  Generally there isnt any kind of warranty involved with used parts, or there might be a problem claiming it.

You most have never worked in a call center or even called one. It is called "Social Engineering" put to a good use on a small scale. If the product is life timed and has never been called in you can get it replaced. My Sam Sung 19" I got the person just got back refurbed. I bought and it went 2 weeks later. Called up and said I never heard of the person and that I just want a new damn monitor and made a little fuss, they sent a BRAND NEW one out.

*  The part could be straight up broken or have serious defects (whether known by the owner or not).  And if its junk and the seller refuses to take it back you are pretty much out of luck.
This one I can not argue.

Newegg a set of these 512x2 is $99.  Comparable memory elsewhere can be gotten at $80 easily.  I probably wouldnt front more than $40-$50 for a pair of used sticks in this situation B)  If im going to take the risk it has to be worth it B)

If you want a premium sell them on eBay where things go for more then you can even get them on newegg every single day, Big thing here is most of us have 2 * 1GBers or more, so 512's are kinda small.

Life expectancy on most computer hardware is into the 1000s of years range. Long after it is out of use and in a land fill and you are gone.
That is of course if every piece of hardware that comes off the line is perfect and if those pieces of hardware are used under ideal conditions for the duration of thier life. Few are perfect and identical pieces of hardware from the same production line will have dramatically different rates of failure. Memory is one of the more finicky and prone to problem computer parts.

You dont know the quality of the other components that the hardware was used with. Poorly functioning power supplies and poor quality electric power in an area can lead to damaged hardware. Problems with other components in thier system can lead to shortened life expectancy, defects, etc. Dust, moisture, heat, overclocking, static electricity, how the parts were handled by the previous owner...the list goes on and on.

I personally have numerous peices of hardware that have failed over time far far short of an expected life span. And even far short of warranty as well. There are so many reasons why hardware can fail far short of when its expected to.

The problem with a used piece of hardware is you dont know (nor does the owner probably) what kinds of additional stresses that can cause defects or early failure the hardware has endured before you get it. If you purchase a brand new piece of hardware there are no additional stresses the hardware has endured aside being produced, tested, and shipped to you. Basically you have a far far greater chance of the longest potential life span with a piece of hardware when its bought brand new.

If nothing else the idea of of "spurs" that form on the conductive material used in todays electronics can be another reason for unexpected failure. I cant remember the exact term for this process - but there is a researched and proven formation of "spurs" or "slivers" (or some term along those lines) that actually grow / form off of the conductive leads in these electronics. These are incrediblly tiny microscopic and near microspic formations. Eventually they can form and connect 2 of the leads or circuits in these electronics that are not supposed to contact creating small shorts. The size and number of the formations will determine if the short will damage the electronic. This is a proven occurence and as i understand it there is no way to prevent it at this time. Its a function of the materials we use in the electronics. Add to that the electronics are becoming smaller and smaller as we micronize everything, and these spurs or slivers when they do form have far more dramatic effects as the tolerances of the electronics are smaller.

So all in all theres is about zero reason to expect just about any piece of computer hardware to last 1000's of years. Some wont last past the current usage life of your computer. There are just too many factors that most wouldnt even realize is a problem that can dramatically shorten the life span on computer hardware.

If it has been over clocked I want to know all the settings and exact how high you got it. Even better deal if you got it high.

People burn hardware out all the time by working it too aggressively. Sure it was the uber l337 for about 3 or 4 months, then suddently its horribly unstable. And to be honest when you see great deals on hardware its sometimes the n00b or hardcore overclocker who damaged his hardware. It still works, but has stability issues (ex: with graphics cards various artifacting and crashing). They can still sell it and it still technically works, but its unstable, works like crap, and crashes your games or computer all the time. Though overclocking has modest perormance benefits and done in moderation is usually safe, folks like to take it to the bleeding edge and burn thier hardware up fast because of it. Ive made the mistake of buying used from overclockers before. If they overclock thier hardware and you buy it used - its a crap shoot for sure.

Called up and said I never heard of the person and that I just want a new damn monitor and made a little fuss, they sent a BRAND NEW one out.
You usually dont get much documentation, and if you do, you usually dont get the original store reciepts or invoices for used hardware. Which means you have very little claim when you finally go to get it replaced or serviced. I dont have to work in a call center to have called in for support or service for hardware that i no longer had the documentation for and be denied on it. Period.

Apparently they werent going to take care of your monitor till you made the claim you didnt know the person then made the "fuss" to get them to take care of it for you. My impression is that thier first reaction to your claim was they were not going to handle it. You got lucky.

If you want a premium sell them on eBay where things go for more then you can even get them on newegg every single day

This I cant argue with. Some brain dead people on eBay think they are getting sweet deals and they are paying more for used than brand new ??? I swear I cant understand most of the computer hardware sales there. Once you take a look at newegg or some of the decent online sellers you wont even look at eBay anymore. Not to mention that the problem of getting something crappy is quadrupled and your chances of them taking care of it for you are pretty much zero unless they are truly kind hearted or cultivating a biz and need to maintain the feedback. But usually you're screwed if its bad.

Thats way too much text for people that arent even remotely interested in purchasing his RAM.
By that same token - are you interested in buying the ram ? Why post ? I personally would be interested in the RAM for the right price. Are you ? And if so why dont you add something pertinent to the discussion or offer up your expected price ?

Thats way too much text for people that arent even remotely interested in purchasing his RAM.

*True*

Feel 'da hate. :blink: Classic response when you cant argue the point. Im here discussing on a "forums". You know a place you go when you want to "discuss" things. You jump into the discussion and counter what I stated, but then turn around and play "holier than thou are" when you cant counter what I sated - thats just cheesy. If you are going to discuss then discuss, or concede the point.

I would have been interested in purchasing the RAM, if the price for the used hardware would have been or will be lower. If its offered for $40 I have cash in hand and will buy it now. However my point is for $80, Im ordering it brand new from newegg or another good online store. I dont mind buying used but I expect to get a price that reflects the risks associated with it. Its pretty straight forward.

Matter of fact I just picked up a set of used 512x2 sticks for $45 2 weeks ago.

And remember this - Sacred asked specifically if his price was too high. I didnt stride in here telling him he must lower it first. By his request I presented my discussion.

Edited by WarSpartan

You know what ->

I think Im just a little tired and cranky today. So if my posts on this came off too confrontational or mean just ignore me. I had originally intended to make a casual and well thought out discussion on this. So if Ive offended anyone sorry for that. Ill keep my grumbling to myself, lol.

Classic response when you cant argue the point.

Classic response when you have wasted enuff time on a topic. I am friends or like to think I am with most the ppl on the forums and at the LANs, my *true* response to ParoxysM post was manly for a quick lol as he is famous for the one worders.

if my posts on this came off too confrontational or mean just ignore me.

I would also like to aploigize did not want this to turn in to a heated battle over the price of 2 sticks of memory. :blink: See ya @ the LAN in september and every one make sure to sign up for October. Oh, also Sacred good luck on selling your mem.