PS3 starts to ship

B.Ob.

Asustek ships PS3

"After the first batch of PS3 shipments from Asustek, Foxconn Electronics (the registered trade name of Hon Hai Precision Industry) will also supply Sony's PS3 game consoles when demand rises, indicated the Apple Daily. The paper cited sources at Taiwan component suppliers as saying that about 200,000 component sets were shipped to Asustek in June and the volume will grow this month. From September to October, the suppliers estimate to ship more than one million sets to the game console manufacturer, the paper added."

Asustek warns Taiwan media over PS3 reports

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
sweet. can't wait until I get to be poor in order to buy one.

U R not the only one who can't wait for this item to ship, Sony is very interested in seeing how well it'll sell as well w/ the price they are selling it at.

I fully expect to see this system sell out during its initial phase, but afterwards, probably a major slowdown. It's sad that peeps will actually support a company who's willing to charge such a price for a system that's primarily a gaming system, regardless of the tech in it. Current rumor has it that the Wii will now be selling @ $199 w/ a nice truck load of games on launch date. Microsoft still states that they will cut the price of their 360 when the PS3 hits. Devlopers are lossing interest in the PS3 due to its high pricetag & dropping off the PS3 bandwagon, must be something to due to with them not wanting to develope for a system that won't sell well enough to justify them spending time & money on it.

As it stands, I will not be getting one anytime soon, if at all. I truly hope that Sony will come to realize that they NEED to adjust their line of thinking & slash their price of the unit if they are to maintain the market lead that they currently still hold w/ the PS2. If that happens, then I will consider getting one. It's bad enough that they are trying to convince everyone that they are justified in selling it for that much, but w/ games expected to sell between $60 - $90 for it as well, that's simply too much.

-- Nem