BF 2142 - Lessons Learned

B.Ob.

Battlefield 2142 - Lessons Learned

"You learn so much from developing a game. Each time you put more experience and knowledge into a product, you trust that it will better than the one before. I certainly think Battlefield 2 is a better game than Battlefield 1942. The great thing about the game play we deliver is the fact that it fits nicely into pretty much any environment or era. This means that many of the things we learn come in handy when making the next product. An example of this is how we have dived deeper into the squad design. Looking back on the last 12 months it's clear gamers liked that we made squad play available in BF2. Now, in 2142 the depth of the squad play will make it even more fun and rewarding. Lessons can also be more subtle too. For example, we are always getting better at balancing gameplay and how that affects different large scale armies battling it out. It's not a feature per se, but it's certainly something that benefits our gaming community. Another feature that has become far more popular than expected is the commander role. At Dice we see great potential here, as it's a terrific way of making large scale battles even deeper. We consider ourselves the delivery people of a great sandbox experience, where we supply the toys and some basic rules and the users shape their own experience."

"You will soon see for yourself in the open beta coming out in August."

Lessons Learned

1) Its 2 steps forward and no steps back

2) If we make advancements in a game, we make sure we include them in the new version of the game

- making the game well coded(still work in progress and not our job)

- what's a favorites list

- PB doesn't need to be in the game from launch

This list is a wip and may take several rewrites to get it right. Also, the writer of this list will not be paid like he is expecting to be. B)

Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

Battlefield 2142 preview

"I have to say that the concept of BF2142 didn't fill me with deep love. It seemed a little obvious somehow - a jump of the shark into the realms of its competitors (UT, Quake Wars et al) that was far removed from the original ethic of its forbears. Initial hands-on impressions didn't help much either. Its bleak, urban feel of a snowy future meant that the whole affair felt quite sparse and featureless, its colour palette well drained of BF2's grime, sand and sun. But then, as so often is the case, my eyes became more fixed and my jaw began to slacken - and I was once more Battlefield's bitch."