Fried Motherboard or fried cpu?

nukm69

So i was modding my comp and comp and I accidently crossed some connections. My computer instantly fried itself.

for sure damaged:

2 harddrives = gone

motherboard =gone

ive replaced the MB and was able to get the system to boot for a few minutes..Then it locked again and now i have the exact same problem. Unable to complete post, i dont even get a beep, no boot, no bios, nothing, case fans light up. cpu fan lights up, ive replaced all the parts to a different mb, everything works.

parts in question:

cpu, psu, and mb(#2)

ive attempted to reseat the cpu, turn the heatsync, boot the system out of the case. but nothing changes. how could i fry to motherboards? does anyone have an idea of how to dig out of this hole ive doug. the psu is new and so is the case. I suspect its the psu because everyonce in a while the circut breakers in the house trip when i activate the comp. however i cant get the other psu to boot the computer (but i may have friend this mb too). Any one who thinks they can offer some advise i would be appreciate, the only thing i havent tried is booting without the cpu to see if i can at least get some post beeps.

thanks in advance

Ouch, that sucks. :(

When you hooked up the 2nd power supply, did you make sure the 4-pin connector was attached also? And also any other devices, like perhaps video card. CD-ROM shouldn't be necessary for a successful post.

If it had enough juice to wack your HDs, ram and cpu could be toast also.

Are there any burn marks on the original m/b where you shorted it? Also, how did manage to short it? (drop a screwn in, try to install a card bracket faceplate with the power on?, etc)

well i've disconnected all peripherals in an attempt to just complete post...no burn marks, no smell

the lcd screen i was mounting has bare circutry on the back, the computer was set on its side, i layed the lcd screen on the computer and it touched the screws holding the cdroms in place, zap - zap - dead.

second motherboard fried without the lcd or anything else including any peripherals... Im thinking the original electrical surge must have damaged the power supply as well, other than the ram and cpu the psu is the only thing the mb's had in coming, but both died the exacte same way....

As far as the 4pin connector goes, ya i deffinitly checked that. The weird thing is that all the cdroms made it, the videocard made it, ram is good, but harddrives are gone....(tear)...im just ...ugh....frustrated with myself.

Certainly doubt you fried the 2nd motherboard, unless the p/s got wacked and sent too much or the wrong voltage down the wrong line.

Yeah, understandable. Have you tried a decent 2nd p/s on the 2nd m/b ? Also, did you remount it in the case? or just on a piece of wood outside the case? If its still in the case, you might take it out, just to be sure your not causing a short some where.

Good luck!!!!

Well i think i might have tried another psu, ill give it the ol college try in a completely different case, I wish i had a spare sempron 2800 to check with.

By the way, i appreciate the support. This has been a very stressfull time.

If i try the steps you mentioned and they dont work i think ill try hooking it up to my car and then driving it off a cliff.

thanks,

Aaron

If i try the steps you mentioned and they dont work i think ill try hooking it up to my car and then driving it off a cliff.

Just make sure that U & your pc are buckled in, we wouldn't want U to waste your time & car doing this just to have U and/or the PC fall out & live to try again another day :evil:

I would definitely make sure to try out another PSU, that sounds like the immediate problem. When U tried booting the mobo w/o anything in it, only the psu & Mobo, did U get any beeps?

Out of curiosity, when U were mounting that portable lcd from your psOne & all hell broke loose, was it still plugged into a power source or using batteries? I'm assuming the pc itself was disco'd from power, so I'm trying to figure out where this power surge came from.

This is truly a sucky situation for U, good luck in getting it resolved.

-- Nem

Well .....the ....um thing is I was testing to make sure the screen was gonna work before i mounted it....both lcd and computer had their own outlet....so two power sources....I set the lcd down to check something....

oops

I just wasn thinking. I think I got too excited and wanted to finish the project quickly.

Well .....the ....um thing is I was testing to make sure the screen was gonna work before i mounted it....both lcd and computer had their own outlet....so two power sources....I set the lcd down to check something....

oops

I just wasn thinking. I think I got too excited and wanted to finish the project quickly.

I know, which is why I asked the questions I did, kinda like a reminder to U as to what U should have done prior to playing w/ a PC, which, in a nutshell, is to make sure the PC has no current going into it b4 playing w/ it parts :o:D

I hope U can get this taken care of b4 the upcoming lan party on 5/20, we'd would like to have U show up for it!!

-- Nem

oops

We've all made bonehead moves. It can only get better from here.....

HEY!!!, good news, both my hard drives that I though were dead are both working, The HD that im using as primary OS is a junky propritary piece of crap.

When I remove the main os the bios recognises both harddisks!!

Excellent, So this means recovery is that much sooner now that I can minus the cost of new hds.

HEY!!!, good news, both my hard drives that I though were dead are both working, The HD that im using as primary OS is a junky propritary piece of crap.

When I remove the main os the bios recognises both harddisks!!

Excellent, So this means recovery is that much sooner now that I can minus the cost of new hds.

Definately Good news!!! :o :cheer: