Gamepad/joystick Ports on sound cards

Sacred

Gamepad/joystick Ports on sound cards do you really need them. over the past few years almost all gamepad/jopysticks can be used with USB so why do card manufacturers still put the port on the cards. Thats one thing that bothers me about the X-fi extreme music. I am considering saving a bit of monay and just getting the Audigy 4 OEM card not really sure if I need more games anyways. I don't have much time for gaming and when I do I always have son with me (5 months old.) A lot of vendors now have weekly rebates on the X-Fi cards so I am wondering if I should stick it out a bit longer and see what happens. This rebate here is very tempting. 169.99 regular after rebate 139.99. http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=290237

Last time I bought a sound card was 6 years ago. SB live!.

That joystick port is also used as a MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) port, or as Creative Labs named it (which is now the standard) MPU-401. Since MIDI can use parallel, serial, or MPU-401, this is not specifically called a MIDI port, but it is by far the most common way for musical devices to connect to your computer.

:dork:

Yeah, but even using it as a midi connection is getting useless. If your a beginner musican its still useful but for a vet like me you've grown beyond it and probably don't use anything that plugs into it anymore. My newer midi leyboard uses usb now(when it wants to work).

The extra connection can be useful for a second controller for games like Madden and NHL. But I prefer my 27" tv and PS2 for that. :lol:

Dragon

One of the first things I do when getting new hardware is disabling that crap...I dont need Windows getting confused with extra drivers for something I will never use. Serial - Off, Parallel - Off, Gameport - Off, etc.