motherboards

Guest Major_Chaos

ABit NF7 series is my first choice.....

I would definitely go w/ the NF7-S mobo, Pursuit & B.Ob. both have them & speak very highly of them. The reviews also speak highly of this mobo.

That's also the mobo I'm looking to get as well :rolleyes:

-- Nem

just for shopping purposes: :rolleyes:

Abit NF7, nforce2 Ultra 400 chipset, usual stuff, built-in 10/100 nic, decent built-in sound (2 channel thou), 5 PCI slots, with extra space next to the AGP slot (so a 2-slot card, like the 5950 Ultra doesn't chew up a PCI slot), USB 2.0, Dual Channel DDR, supports all Athlon XP's from the Palamino up thru the fastest Barton (3200+)

Abit NF7-M, adds built-in GF4MX video (if your a gamer, you'll want a nVidia 5700 or ATI 9600, or higher, video card instead!!!)

Abit NF7-S, no built in video, but adds firewire, SATA (2 connections), 5 channel SoundStorm audio (same acclaimed audio that is in the XBox), extra overclocking features in BIOS, to alter multiplier (although the new 2500+'s apparently are multiplier locked now)

This board is best with 2 sticks of Identical RAM (3 slots total), so match your RAM to the frontside bus of the proc, ie: Barton 2500+ has 333 FSB, so get 2 sticks of PC2700 (or faster) RAM.

Hope this helps....

My crappy $70 ECS board overclocked past the NF7 I had and a friend's I borrowed. Buy a board for what your needs are, not what others...go to like http://www.amdmb.com/ , check out the forums

Very true!! Although the initial msg was just asking for what we thought were the best. Although I was expecting a follow-up msg from icunvnme with more specifics he/she was looking for.

Asking for the best, is like asking what car brand you prefer, some won't care as long as it works, then you have your Ford, Chevy, Honda etc fans! I guess my fondness for Abit is that I have a couple older Abit BX6 rev2 m/b's that have been the picture of reliabilty for 3+ years now. Not to mention that it runs a higher processor than on its official list of supported CPUs. I had a bad fall-out with Gigabyte thou, buts thats a story for another time.

Which reminds me, I've got to put together a How-to article on how I took our older, dead Gigabyte mb's (GA-7VTXE VIA KT266A) and put them back into service after replacing the leaked caps they had.