Socket M2 Boards To Cost A Bit More

theinquirer.net

"factors will drive the cost of M2 or AM2 boards to be five to ten dollars higher than socket 939 or 754 boards."

"Socket AM2/M2 boards will use DDR 2 DIMM sockets only, so you can say goodbye to DDR 1 memory."

amdzone.com

"AMD will introduce a new improved mounting for the new heatsinks. The improved mounting uses four holes instead of two."

AMD Socket-M2 CPUs to be unwrapped at CeBIT

"By the end of this month, most motherboard makers will receive samples of AMD's next-generation 940-pin platform for sampling for the March 9-15 CeBIT exhibition, according to the sources. Those motherboard companies, however, will need to follow customer confidentiality agreements with AMD and only showcase the respective M2-based models during the show while not revealing detailed specifications."

Yes, be interesting to see what speed DDR2 they use. I was looking at some DDR2 and the lowest CL I saw was 3, going up to 4 and 5 for the higher speed DDR2. I was kinda disappointed, as I loved when I got 2-2-2-6 ddr400 and set my m/b timings appropiately. Oh well, looks like we have 4 weeks before we even get a preview.... plenty of time to do some research on it.

AMD Athlon 64 Processors for Socket AM2 to Be Launched on June 6

"The long-awaited launch of the new reincarnation of AMD Athlon 64 X2 and Athlon 64 FX processors for the Socket AM2 that will allow using DDR2 SDRAM is scheduled to take place at Computex 2006 that will be open in Taipei, Taiwan, in June. Note that the first mainboards for Socket AM2 designed by AMD’s partners will be demonstrated already at the European CeBIT show in March 2006."

AMD's Socket AM2 to support DDR2 800 MHZ

"WE ALL expected that AMD planned to support DDR 2 400, 533 and 667 but very few of us expected that the firm plans to include DDR 2 800 MHz on its list. Before February, the plan was to support all memories up to DDR 667 but AMD eventually decided that it can and will support DDR 2 800 MHz from the outset. Now the migration to DDR 2 finally makes sense, as DDR 2 800 MHz can sure show sume difference compared with DDR 1 400 or even DDR 1 overclocked to 667."

So it looks like June/July it is....

A Look At AMD's Socket AM2 Platform

"Although the June 6 launch will be somewhat late, it still is within the projected Q2 time frame, and would allow the launch to go hand-in-hand with a good DDR2-800 memory supply. Let's also not forget that Intel is going to introduce DDR2-800 support at around the same time as well..."

ATI RD550 Details Emerge, HDCP Inside RS690

"We've come across some ATI documents that reveal ATI's next generation CrossFire enabled chipset which will be positioned as a mainstream part. RD550 has not yet received an official name at this time but details include support for 1x16 + 1x8 PCIe slots. RD550 will also enable dongle-less CrossFire support which will be a welcomed feature by enthusiasts."