SB X-Fi issues?

PurSuiT

So I have been having issue with my Sound Blaster X-Fi card since day one, really funky issues.

First I had issues installing the drivers, used the web drivers right off the bat and detected the card, reboot static. The static issue was in gaming mode on reboots all the time, came and went in other modes. but could switch modes and it went away sometimes.

Next I rebooted one day after resetting my bois from a OC that was to aggressive and had to reset the bois. Rebooted and no sound, even though I set all bios setting back to where I had them. The sound icon was missing from the tray and and device manger showed the xfi card was installed still. So I removed all the drivers and used Driver Cleaner Pro, rebooted and device manger came up as found new device. kewl kewl. Walked through and could not find drivers, card was coming up as "Multimedia Audio Device" WTF is that? Could not manually install drivers either. After some looking on the web and seeing 100s of ppl with the same issue and stating it was some card ID error/driver setup what ever and Creative told them to RMA the card only to see the person get a new card and reply they had the same issue. Well 3 days of no sound and 1000's of forums post skims later I remembered someone said it might be an IRQ conflict. So I looked at the IRQ my yellow "!" was on and it was on 5. Decided to reserved IRQ5 and it moved to IRQ7 so I reserved 7 and my system would not boot, could not even get into the bios, reset time. Went in and changed all the bois setting back that I could remember I had changed. Back into windows, new hardware detected, silicon sata controller. Damn forgot to disable the unused 2nd sata controller oh well. Oh wait found SB X-Fi [bCE0] kewl sound is back. Rebooted and disabled sata controller that is not being used and back in windows. No sound. Checked IRQ's X-Fi is on 22 now, but with no sound, rebooted enable sata, it is on IRQ 17 and with sound now SB X-Fi is on 22, every thing works. Noticed though that when the sata was disabled it came up as SB X-Fi [DCE0] and not [bCE0] so turns out it is an I/O Range conflict that causes it. Turn off the Sata controller and it moves the X-Fi card to one of the USB controller’s ranges. That seems to also be the reason for the static/crackling issue too and why changing PCI slots sometimes helps.

Hope this helps someone trouble shoot their issue more as over on Creative’s forums, seems as if their tech support does not respond a bit. Even to 100s of posts on the same issue.

For reference

aBit AN8 xpress 3200

AMD x2 3800+

XMS DDR 500

(2) Sapphire x1950Pro’s in crossfire mode

Creative SB X-Fi Fatal1ty XtremeGamer

OK, keep playing with this as I could not stand having a controller I was not using enabled just to waste more resources, So I kept looking through to see what else I was not using and notice the 2nd IDE controller was also unused. So I yet again disabled my unsed sata controller and now I also disabled the 2nd IDE controller. X-FI works and has once again moved to DCE0 and it works. going to test it out some more for the next few days. also going to be throwing my Intel PT PCIex 1x NIC back in and disabling the onboard as long as this keeps working.

whats your PSU?

Antec SmartPower 2.0 500w. System running 3dMark06 never pulls over 300watts. PSU tests ok. Tested with both a Watt Load Meter and a Antec PSU Tester . Issues has to do with the I/O range that the card picks and for some odd reason just shutting down your system can change the I/O the X-Fi grabs. Creative I think is still on the plug in a pray engineering design level.

Updated to ATi Cats 7.2 and X-Fi card was lost again, showed up in device manger as "Multimedia Audio device" again. n1! So I went thorugh the steps of fixing it that I have bben doing. card is not on I/O od CCA0 and working again, as you can see from above nothing was on CCA0 before this and the IRQ did not change so who knows why it change. Even creative does not know WTF is up with their hardware, that installing vid drivers would mess it up.

I give up, had it fixed. Then today after changing nothing I did a reboot and sure enuff the xfi did not come up. So I am sick of it, it is going back would rather take a chance @ a 15% restock then waste another day of my life dealing with this crap. As it seems creative seems to careless when the are confronted with the x-fi issue. They see nothing wrong with the cards.

• 3 months later...

This is the last creative card I every buy......... The following is from an email requesting my card be replaced as it has NEVER worked in several computers..

------------

Dear XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Creative Technical Support Services. We

appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I understand you're concerned about the crackling and popping that

you're getting everytime you play sound even after reinstalling your

operating system and installing the card to multiple computers. I

apologize for any inconvenience caused.

The problem you described indicates your unit may require repair or

replacement. An RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) will need to be

arranged to have your product tested for repair/replacement.

A RMA requires a non-refundable US $25.00 diagnostics and handling fee

for each product. The fee is applied toward the complete cost of

repair/replacement. If the cost of the repair/replacement exceeds the

initial diagnostic fee, the RMA department will contact you to obtain

your authorization for finance of the remaining fee.

Please submit the following required information to us in a reply to

this message so the RMA can be issued:

First/Last Name:

Address (No P.O. Boxes please):

City:

State/Province:

ZIP/Postal Code:

Contact Telephone Number(s):

Email address where you would prefer to be reached:

Product Model Number (SB, ES, or CT followed by four numbers):

Product Serial Number:

Place of purchase:

Exact/Approximate Date of Purchase:

Creative Care Protection Plan Number (if purchased):

Creative Care Protection Plan Order # (if purchased):

Brief Description of Problem:

Once this information is applied to the RMA database, we will reply to

you with an RMA reference number and shipping instructions.

In the meantime, if you are looking for incredible sound and incredible

price in an incredible tiny piece of device, you may want to take a look

at our new ZenStone. This 1GB skip-free MP3 player holds up to 250¹ of

your favorite songs. And is available in six fun colors! Rock in

color?at a price that rocks!

------------

My card is less them 3 months old and still under a 1 year warranty... To bad... Still need to submitt a "non-refundable US $25.00".... Oh and I already submitted all of the above info through thier live online tech chat support. I can not believe ppl want to do business with a company like this. I can tell you, I never will again. In the same damn email they also try and sell me a MP3 Player! WTF?

Keeps getting better, Figure I will pay the $25 as I got the card in Febuary and it has never worked. So I started the RMA proccess and got an RMA number. This company is a joke, The following is from the RMA email

4. Include a photocopy (please keep the original) of the end-user

purchase receipt. All will incur a non-refundable US $25.00 diagnostics and handling fee. If the unit is

out of warranty, You will be contacted for payment in the form of a check/money

order made payable to Creative Labs. The $25.00 non-refundable fee will applied towards the

complete cost of repair/replacement.

5. The approximate turn-around time is 30-45 business days from the

time we receive the product. In some instances, the turn-around may be

dramatically shorter.