Serious Sam 2

B.Ob.

Serious Sam 2 Announcement

"Its development was hardly a secret, but 2K Games today officially announced that Croteam is working on Serious Sam 2. The game will ship this fall on PC and Xbox. A preview of Serious Sam 2 can be found in the June issue of Computer Games Magazine."

• 1 month later...

Serious Sam 2 preview

"The original Serious Sam is considered a classic here at GameSpy HQ. Granted, the idea of flooding the screen with waves and waves of enemies wasn't particularly brilliant in itself, but it was done with so much style you had to take notice of the surprise game from Croteam, a developer that virtually no one knew of to that point. Levels were bright and colorful. Bosses were HUGE. The game -- gasp! -- had humor. And it was a mere $20, which was worth it just for the co-op play -- we had one memorable night where we eight of us finished the game in a few hours, and we're still talking about it today."

• 4 weeks later...

Interview with Dean Sekulic

"Could you also tell us if either SM 2.0a or 2.0b are used by SS2?

No, no SM2a/b, thank you. Let me just sidetrack here for a moment, just to say that I'm not buying PR-crap that NV and ATI throws all around. Yes, I'm referring to "countless" number of instructions in shaders. I thought game developers are guys that optimize the hell out of their code. And it should stand for shader-code also! In that light, I don't see the point of having 100+ (heck, even 50+!) instructions per shader for a game, especially if you can make (almost) the same visual appearance with ~30 instructions. And you can!

So no, we don't have long shaders in "Serious Sam 2" and we're proud of it! ;) I believe that gamers want the game that runs and plays well, not a slow-mo demo for newestcoolest3dfeatures™. And we put a lot of work in optimizing the shader usage for Sam2 in order to make playable frame-rate with lots of action on screen."

• 1 month later...

Serious Sam II - preview

"Some years ago, it seemed like all first-person shooters were doomed to become long-delayed, overblown, pretentious, dreary sequels that all took place in a warehouse, or maybe some kind of sewer. Along came Croteam's Serious Sam, a brand-new game that featured huge, colorful outdoor levels, unpretentious arcade-style action, and genuinely funny humor. It might not have been A Midsummer Night's Dream (more like Monty Python's Flying Circus, in video game form), but Sam was a funny guy, and he's bringing back his zany humor and his biggest guns for the sequel. Fortunately for us, his archenemy, the alien entity known as Notorious Mental, is bringing back souped-up versions of all his alien monster buddies, and plenty of new ones, to face off against our hero. Serious Sam II will offer a single-player game that includes more than 40 different levels on seven different worlds, all of which can also be played in co-op multiplayer for up to 16 people on the PC."

• 4 weeks later...

Serious Sam II Hands-On Preview

"Serious Sam II delivers even more of the simple fun that made the first games great. Forget about dark corridors, almost all of Serious Sam II is packed with color and brightness. Looking for a deep meaning behind the madness? Look somewhere else, as although the game includes over two hours of hilarious cutscenes, there’s no complicated storyline to bog down the action. And if for some reason you happen to be looking for a Serious game, forget about it, as Sam II is loaded with humor."

"Serious Sam II is scheduled to be in stores on October 10th, with a demo release at 10 AM EDT on September 21."

• 2 weeks later...